Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-24-2007, 11:12 AM
Senior Chief

Default Holley-DOM and Tomahawk Intakes

What is the most HP made with these intakes or possible HP ?
I have both plus a Victor ,but I like the TOM for hood clearence and looks.
I flowed the Holley and the Victor with my e-heads , The holley is port matched to my old d-ports cleaned up plenim . It flowed better at .400 + .500 then the Victor and the same at .550 and .600
The TOM is on the car now and runs good on the street ,I was going to swap with the Victor at the track. The air cleaner just won't fit with the victor.
Rob

Old 06-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This info below from the Butler website might be of interest. Jim is Selling the WFO air cleaner assy and apparantly he mills off material from a Victor intake for it to work. Obviously reducing the plenium volume has its effect though.

From the website / http://www.jbp-pontiac.com/featuredProducts.htm

Drop base shaker hood assembly for use with edelbrock rpm intake OR edelbrock victor that has been milled down .650" for '75 to '79 Trans Ams to locate shaker hood scoop back to stock height. (there is a picture as well)

On my piticular 505 cid pump gas street combo when dyno tested the Performer RPM intake w/ 1/2" carb spacer and HP950 carb made 615 hp. With a Victor intake and no carb spacer it made 642 hp. With a modified Holley Street Dominator intake w/ 1" spacer it made 620 hp. With a Tomahawk intake w/ 1" spacer it made 611 hp. All intakes were port matched to the heads in use and tested in a configueration that fits under my F-body hood.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Chief

great info Steve ,,
the other problem with the air cleaner is I just put on a CRS alum throttle bracket ,with my moroso drop base bottom hits the linkage so I had to get a flat bottom , will the WFO fit the linkage ?

I had talked with Jim B years ago when I first got the Victor ,he said they like to use the 4150 Victor ,mill the plunem down and weld on the Dom flange for a street motor and hood clearance plus the motor at the time, but at the track the stock victor was no gain ,I didn't bother did n't think the gain was worth it but probably was ,My Holley Dom ran the best times . RPM had the best 60ft,but hood clearance issues with a spacer.

the new motor I'm hoping for that HP range , the victor has more area to work with in the runners then the Tom so it looks like there is more to gain looking at your HP numbers ,

Old 06-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I personaly don't know about the fit with the WFO drop base & filter on a milled Victor, I just found out about this from Larry.

Since my hood scoop is grafted to the 'glass hood I have been using my Performer RPM intake with a 1/2" carb spacer and, unfortunatly, a small air cleaner on the street. Also I suspect my 10-inch Continental converter is a bit tight for use with the Victor intake. I dyno tested it and the other intakes out of interest.

Performer RPM intake produced peak torque at 4400 rpm with 634 ft.lbs.
The Victor intake produced peak torque at a higher 4600 rpm with 640 ft.lbs.
But down low in the RPM range where they dyno can't measure is where the dual-plane intake will have more torque.

Last edited by Steve C.; 06-24-2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As noted by Steve, I sent a WFO assembly to David butler to try on a Victor intake that is to be used on the new YearOne "Bandit" Trans Ams.
He verified that the Victor had to be milled in order to mount a shaker on the engine for hood clearance.
For other applications, I offer a drop-base OPEN element air cleaner however it may not clear the CSI throttle bracket as well.
The attached pics are of a 14" x 3" filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wfofilter1.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	95659   Click image for larger version

Name:	wfofilterb.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	95660  

Old 06-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Senior Chief

I was looking into your air cleaner it would look and work perfect on my car , I figured that if my Moroso one didn't fit, no drop filter would.

one of those things that seems to happen when don't expect it
Is there any way to make a indent in the base for it to fit ,with out hurting the flow or filter fit

Old 06-26-2007, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLIB
Is there any way to make a indent in the base for it to fit ,with out hurting the flow or filter fit
I've often thought of fabbing a offset "drop-bracket" out of aluminum barstock from Lowe's or Home Depot. This way the CSI type cable bracket can be dropped down and slightly out when mounting off the carb studs.
You might try this before buying another air cleaner.