The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-04-2007, 01:35 AM

Default just some amateur metalwork

Well, been working on the 63 bonneville. This is my 2nd project, and actually am doin pretty good, got most of the difficult metalwork completed. But, this one quarter panel i was not looking forward to as I had never fixed damage quite like this. My first project, i replaced the 1/4s so avoided this type of damage. I lost my "before pic" of how badly dented this thing was, but when i find it i will add it...Anyways, I replaced the bottom couple inches of the quater as you can see, due to rust. Cut seam along bad crease, and cut out crinkled section in 2 pieces. Straightened them out, and now tacked them on. I will go back and fine-tune the fit on them, weld them up and then hammer and dolly them a bit more. It doesnt look great yet, but I am actually really really happy with how it is coming. Remember, this is still in very early stages of repair
Let me know whatcha think. Criticism is good -
Will
p.s. its easier to appreciate how it is now, with a pic of it before
pps..for any who dont know me at all, (i spend most time in 62-66 tech) heres a pic of my other car
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bonny1.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	96668   Click image for larger version

Name:	bonny2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	96669   Click image for larger version

Name:	bonny3.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	96670   Click image for larger version

Name:	bonny4.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	96671   Click image for larger version

Name:	recent car1.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	96672  

Old 07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Senior Chief

You are doing a good job. I am happy to see metalwork being done and the days of screen and bondo going away. Keep the heat down and spread out your welds. Work the welds slowly to prevent warping. Don't forget a good layer rust proofing of some type on the back side when finished. Keep up the good work. Oh yeah, really nice car too.
Paul

Old 07-04-2007, 12:28 PM

Thanks...sure wish i could say I'm capable if not using bondo, but I know im gonna need some. I'm just happy to keep it hopefully to a minimal skim coat. Working out of not-very-well equipped ome garage sucks. What i need is a torch for this repair but ooh well..... Hoping to have this car in primer for my dad by the end of august if you can believe it...Gotta get it done as im moving and my dad doesnt know any bodywork....deadlines deadlines haha

Old 07-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking good, Not many are good enuff for no skim coat

Old 07-04-2007, 11:36 PM
Senior Chief

Hey guys, I didn't mean no filler at all. I am not that good either. I would need some filler in the end. No, what I was referring to was the way people used to use the bondo. I have seen a 67 GTO with both rear quarters constructed of chicken wire covered with bondo. I am happy most people don't do that anymore. More and more of us are taking the time to learn metal repair the right way and I am glad to see it. I credit these forums for allowing all to share their ideas along with our successes and failures. I see pictures of cars that are being saved because some amateur guy took the dive and said "Hey, I can do this". And another old car is saved. It makes me happy to see this.
Paul

Old 07-05-2007, 02:05 AM

I know whatcha mean 3 chiefs...on my parisienne, the old quarter I cut off was repaired how you mentioned...
I feel im doin good for an 18 year old whos only training was high school autobody...Will keep this updated regularly to show progress...
And I totally agree..If more people would just jump in and try it, more cars would be saved. I didnt know anything when I started, now I'm pretty confident in my abilities to the point that my next project I do will be a chop top hotrod....I mean, I found once I started playing with autobody I couldnt get enough. Just something incredibly satisfying with being able to SEE progress after each day of work. Really pays of in the end, IMHO...

Old 07-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Will,

You didn't use poprivets!!!! Looks good, just remember that you'll need to stitch weld it to keep the heat from distorting it, but looks good.

-r-

Old 07-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1963PONTIACKID
I know whatcha mean 3 chiefs...on my parisienne, the old quarter I cut off was repaired how you mentioned...
I feel im doin good for an 18 year old whos only training was high school autobody...Will keep this updated regularly to show progress...
And I totally agree..If more people would just jump in and try it, more cars would be saved. I didnt know anything when I started, now I'm pretty confident in my abilities to the point that my next project I do will be a chop top hotrod....I mean, I found once I started playing with autobody I couldnt get enough. Just something incredibly satisfying with being able to SEE progress after each day of work. Really pays of in the end, IMHO...
You got the bug my friend!