Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have a fuel cell in the Firebird so the old fuel filler location was a natural for the kill switch, and on the street we could just shut the door. At least that was the plan until the tech made us remove the fuel door before we could run. Now I guess we can figure out some sort of quick release for the door so we can retain it on the street and not spend time removing it at the track.

GTO switch has the Flaming River twist-on/push-off switch in an aluminum filler bracket located in the right backup light position. We still had to add a vinyl sticker that said "PUSH OFF" above it to pass tech.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Bob, mine is a push/pull, drilled thru the tail light. Works great and isn't anything that would impact the car later if I chose to return to stock.

I have a few friends that read that rule the same way the OP did, and think they need to change from the twist to a push off. It does make sense to mandate a push off in case you end up with the rear of the car against the wall, and they can't reach the on/off switch...

Old 08-09-2007, 02:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R J Staub
I'd replace the switch with something bigger. I'd be afraid in a fire or accident, the safety crew would not be able to see the switch.
Just put a huge on and off sign on the license plate. Problem solved.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg
Bob, mine is a push/pull, drilled thru the tail light. Works great and isn't anything that would impact the car later if I chose to return to stock.

I have a few friends that read that rule the same way the OP did, and think they need to change from the twist to a push off. It does make sense to mandate a push off in case you end up with the rear of the car against the wall, and they can't reach the on/off switch...
I've cut off many cars not in an incident. Starting in tech, where the function is tested, to problems out of the water-box. All my cohorts in tech are trained to first, kill the vehicle, in any situation, where the vehicle has problems. If you get out of the vehicle before the track workers get there, kill switch the car yourself, and tell the track workers you did when they get there, to prevent a rookie track worker from turning it back on.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use the Summit rotory style switch and attached it to the rear bumber with an L-bracket I made out of a piece of aluminum flat stock. Passes tech, works fine and I don't have to modify anything nor put any hole in the car's body or tail lights. Keep it simple.

Tim C

Old 08-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a bracket attached to the frame and can lower the kill switch for racing. When street driving the switch is raised up, out of sight behind the bumper. You can see the switch on the driver side, hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airs1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	100962  

Old 08-10-2007, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you mean on the other driver's side?

Old 08-11-2007, 08:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah, the side family members sit and talk like they are driving.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave _68_gto
67 ragtop, I had a switch similar to the one you pictured. It was OK. The throw to shut it off was long and the rod was thick.
I replaced it with this one http://www.appliedracing.com/pages/p...ns/018199.html
and I am very happy with it. The throw to shut it off is about 1/2 of the old one and the rod is 1/3 smaller. Dave
I just noticed your Avatar, GO GATORS.
man thanx for that link, they have some things that I'm needing @ reasonable prices.

Those Old Timers That Think...

There Is No Replacement For Displacement
Do Not Know What Boost Is.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:33 PM

Your welcome Turbo Indian. There is a ART warehouse close to were I live. I find they have great service and parts at a fair price. Dave