Old 09-13-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Correctly refinishing 1963 Moraine brake booster, master cylinder...

Hi All,

Just getting to the last few items to refinish in the engine compartment and trying to determine correct finish on my 1963 Moraine power brake booster, master cylinder base(cap is cad plated), and dual speed wiper pump & assembly. I've seen the 63 booster done both in black and cadmium plated but how'd they finish them back in the day? Of course the shiny gold cad looks nicest, but i'm trying to keep her original as possible so plain old black suits me fine(semi-gloss or gloss?) Car was born at the South Gate plant in SoCal, i know that sometimes colors and even part suppliers may have differed from plant to plant.

If anyone here knows the correct finishes of these parts i'd be a happy darksider. Anyone know of a source book or reference that lists finishes for various components in these big cars? If memory serves me right, i think i remember the popular GTO restoration books actually supply this information.

Nearly forgot, does the fan on the alternator get cad plated on the 63's, or black?

Thanks, Paul

Last edited by 63HO3x2Cat421; 09-13-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know this probably won't help you, but IIRC there were two types of brake boosters used in 63. Indeed one was painted a semi gloss black and the other was gold cad plated. I don't remember exactly which was which. It seems maybe that Bendix was the name of the one that was painted black and the Moraine was gold cad plated. Maybe someone with better info will post.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 09-13-2007, 03:59 PM

Hey Jerry it actually does help, the black ones i have seen in pics are so deep in shadow that i can't make out whether it's Bendix or Moraine. They are actually easy enough to ID when well lit by the square shaped bendix mc vs cylindrical moraine mc.

I'm thinking you're right on with the color differences, hopefully someone that's seen an original will chime in here. Thanks for replying.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul,

The Bendix brake booster was black and the Delco brake booster was a SILVER clad. Pontiac changed to the gold clad mid year (April) '64. A perfect example is the brake booster I just took off of the Bonneville I'm restoring, It was build in January and the back of the booster is silver.

-r-

Old 09-14-2007, 06:50 AM

Ok i got it, SILVER CAD it'll be, thanks for clearing that up. Well now what about the master cylinder cap, will that also be SILVER Cad or GOLD?

And the master cylinder body, natural(gray) or semi gloss black?

How about the alternator blades, gold or silver cad, or some kinda black?

While we're in the vicinity, what about the wiper pump assembly? Part of it appears to be left unpainted a natural gray/silver, the rest should be what, semi gloss or full gloss black?

As always, thanks for the help here. Paul