Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Boost Engineer

This head could very well make an excellent Turbo type head with the exhaust ports machined back.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught
This head could very well make an excellent Turbo type head with the exhaust ports machined back.

Tom V.
That is what I am hoping. I am acquiring parts now for my twin turbo build. I have a forged crank, a block and now I am waiting to see how these heads work out for another piece.

Robert

Old 05-20-2007, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why is it attractive for turbo app with the ex ports cut back?

Old 05-20-2007, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In my way of thinking the cut back exhaust port will allow for easier packaging of the turbos and manifolds.

Tom may be thinking of something more technical, but I am pretty simple.

Robert

Old 05-21-2007, 02:05 AM
Suspended

I'll briefly say this on the cut back exhaust ports. It is better with the turbo's because of having more room to run the pipes and easier to locate the turbo's in a more effiecent manner. And the exhaust ports flow alot better with them cut back. I think a nos or Supercharged engine could also benefit from that alot!!! Look at Donovan's car how well he ran with cut back exhaust ports years ago.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I understand a significant amount of grinding on the block is required for pushrod clearance. What's the word on that?

Ken, you sure the heads you have aren't the ones in the video? That looks like Karen's car in the garage.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:58 AM
Suspended

Brian, That is Jim's car in the background.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

can I use my Blackjack headers? I dont want to buy new ones I just painted these.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVR421
can I use my Blackjack headers? I dont want to buy new ones I just painted these.

Bwahahahahahahahahaha, And stock headbolts too.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there or will there be a roots type supercharger manifold that will fit these heads? Not being a Ford guy, is there a SVO 8-71 intake?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BVR421 are completely NUTZ?? You will have to use the old three tube Doug Thorley headers. What are you thinking?

Due to the current economic conditions...the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off.

Meet you at the finish line.....don't be late!
Old 09-15-2007, 03:44 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Brian- He told me he'll first concentrate on the CVI-1 intake. Then the next effort will be a two-fours manifold, with blower-mount variants to accompany it. (This was after I said to him that heads that good really need a blower manifold available right off the bat)

Old 09-18-2007, 01:53 AM
Suspended

Keep an eye out for a couple cars at the Indian Uprising in Ark. City next month. They just might have CV-1 heads on them.

Old 09-18-2007, 06:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goquick
Keep an eye out for a couple cars at the Indian Uprising in Ark. City next month. They just might have CV-1 heads on them.
There has been very little info on the progress, where does the whole deal stand?

Old 09-18-2007, 06:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I do not think the center paired exh ports are a problem in short duration drag motors, but endurance type racing is a different story!

Old 09-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Suspended

smagnotti; I do not think the center paired exh ports are a problem in short duration drag motors, but endurance type racing is a different story!

Only in a sbc!!! But then everyone who compares a Pontiac to that sbc pos isn't looking at the Pontiac V8 very well or they would see all the advantages of the Pontiac.

ponjohn Quote:

There has been very little info on the progress, where does the whole deal stand?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been progress made, just not as quick as it would have been liked. There has already been a couple improvements to machining for second to none consistency for the best seat to port alinement. Because the port is cast in a way that the industry is heading toward, both oem and aftermarket, it has been harder to get some initial machining process set up than first thought. (mainly trying to teach guys who are used to just throwing a hunk of alum. up and where it lands is good enough that it isn't good enough on the CV-1). Jim (Roland Racing) is going out of his way to make sure that quality is top notch. There has been alot of effort that most wouldn't even realize put in to get the very best product out. Best material, port alinement for valve seats and guides, etc.
Ever had an, say, Edelbrock or other brand head and one side or the other of the valve seat looks like the overhang from a road runner cartoon that the coyote always comes down with? Jim is doing everything possible to make sure that doesn't happen on the CV-1 so if you bought a pair of heads tomorrow, the set you buy 6 months later will have the valve seats in the same place.
With alot of aftermarket heads, regardless of brand, I've seen alot of very poor port valve seat alinement issues. They always tell you; "that's just how it is in the production cycle". Nevermind the 40 cfm airflow reduction on your pair of heads. I've seen plenty of that junk. I am gald we have someone who is wanting to put out a top notch product BEFORE it hits the market instead of the we'll get around to making the needed improvements after it's sold mentality.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dude, if the 3yr old is looking for a porting job...maybe we could send him out to the BARN...to help out the guys who work on the farm!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
smagnotti; I do not think the center paired exh ports are a problem in short duration drag motors, but endurance type racing is a different story!

Only in a sbc!!! But then everyone who compares a Pontiac to that sbc pos isn't looking at the Pontiac V8 very well or they would see all the advantages of the Pontiac.

ponjohn Quote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There has been progress made, just not as quick as it would have been liked. There has already been a couple improvements to machining for second to none consistency for the best seat to port alinement. Because the port is cast in a way that the industry is heading toward, both oem and aftermarket, it has been harder to get some initial machining process set up than first thought. (mainly trying to teach guys who are used to just throwing a hunk of alum. up and where it lands is good enough that it isn't good enough on the CV-1). Jim (Roland Racing) is going out of his way to make sure that quality is top notch. There has been alot of effort that most wouldn't even realize put in to get the very best product out. Best material, port alinement for valve seats and guides, etc.
Ever had an, say, Edelbrock or other brand head and one side or the other of the valve seat looks like the overhang from a road runner cartoon that the coyote always comes down with? Jim is doing everything possible to make sure that doesn't happen on the CV-1 so if you bought a pair of heads tomorrow, the set you buy 6 months later will have the valve seats in the same place.
With alot of aftermarket heads, regardless of brand, I've seen alot of very poor port valve seat alinement issues. They always tell you; "that's just how it is in the production cycle". Nevermind the 40 cfm airflow reduction on your pair of heads. I've seen plenty of that junk. I am gald we have someone who is wanting to put out a top notch product BEFORE it hits the market instead of the we'll get around to making the needed improvements after it's sold mentality.
I would imagine that the port alignment is even more critical with the canted valve and the min bore requirment of 4.00.

JOhn

Old 09-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
j/w, what ark city are you talkin about? arkansas city, ks?? if so, when is this indian uprising event? any others you know of attending?

Old 09-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here you go Joe...

http://www.wichitagto.com/events_det...merica+Dragway

I am gonna be there in my slow Bracket GTO...