Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:38 PM
Senior Chief

Default 2bbl 4bbl carb linkage help!! with pics!

Long time no post for me, but i'm back. I've got a 76 Esprit 2bbl 354 Poncho motor. Long story short i was wondering if some experts would look at what I have here and see if you can tell me if i need anything and what i need if I need something.

I have currently a 79 301 Qjet for the car, and a 76 chebby carb i could use for parts. Ive attached pictures here so please take a look.

Here is my 79 301 carb, I have a really good friend who i can send this too for a good rebuild and tuned to my motor, he is a member here.

Here is my 2bbl setup

Here is my buddies 75 354 linkage

Here is the 76 chebby carb, it has a nob that looks like a throttle cable hooks onto that my 79carb doesnt. Anything that would be salvageable off of this carb?

LONG POST! Overkill with pictures? maybe, but i really am not 100%. What am i missing and does my Qjet looked messed up? I dont think intake manifold installation will be that hard but its missing linkage and not being able to run my DD that scares me! this is my DD

"Like i told my last wife, I said honey i never drive faster than I can see, besides that its all in the reflexes"
Old 01-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Senior Chief

No one?

"Like i told my last wife, I said honey i never drive faster than I can see, besides that its all in the reflexes"
Old 01-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Senior Chief

I'm doing same thing currently, I still haven't got the right throttle bracket, but haven't really messed with modifying the original due to other problems I ran into.

Original 350, with 69' #46 heads, crower 60240, 9.3:1 cr
Old 01-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Senior Chief

Ah yes, i remember your thread from awhile back. I was eagerly awaiting to see how you did it and how it came out.

I wonder if there is anyone on the board who has actually done this and is running a 4bbl on their formerly 2bbl car

Old 01-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Suspended

Personally i would not run the 301 , 155 h.p. carb. not a good proformance carb. but thats up to you, i would keep the little ball attached to the throttle lingage so you could snap your lingage back on,Im still trying to figure why your showing 2 differant carbs. here?? The top picture,s accelerator rod is on the outside hole where it should be on the inside hole. Also why is the idle mixture screws missing on the top photo?? You may want to keep the ones off the lower picture carb. Remember also the top picture i believe is a smog carb. you see the pipe hanging out, it will take a differant style air cleaner also. To me personally id go another route but again thats just my opinion.

Old 01-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just some ideas:
cable and cable bracket from a 4 barrel car would work best
you can do it with a universal cable bracket and a universal adjustable lenght cable
Ive seen both on the shelf at Autozone/Checker stores or check Summit Jegs online for Spectre Products, low priced stuff. If you have a local speed shop they will have that kind of stuff on the wall.
I would use the 301 carb, I would not spend time and $$ rebuild it until I put it on and drove it. Its likely to work just fine. Most qjet cores I have had that appeared original worked fine after a cleanup. Most qjets end up end the core pile because as we all kow 99% of all carb problems is really an ignition problem and by the time most people figure that out the old but still good carb has been replaced with whatever.
You may have to get a little creative with cable and brackets for both throttle and kickdown but you can do it. Its just basic tinkering to make it right.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Senior Chief

67cruiser, the first 2 pictures are of the same 79 Qjet. A while back Cliff said that it would make a great carb for my car with some tuning and smog crap removed/modified( cant remember exact words) Also the 79 carb has the idle screw, they are just not visible in these pictures

Also i am confused to what you mean here
Quote:
"The top picture,s accelerator rod is on the outside hole where it should be on the inside hole."
to possibly help clarify any picture distortions ive added another picture

Old 01-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Senior Chief

BVR421, you really think it will probably just run? That just seems unlikely to me but then I haven't ever even removed my carburetor let alone replaced any. This car is my driver so i only want to do this if it WILL work, otherwise i wont be able to do it because i need my car daily. My primary reasoning for 4bbl qjet is improved economy. 20 mpg should be attainable.

Thanks for the replies guys, i was getting worried there that this question was too dumb to be answered.