Old 01-20-2008, 12:46 AM

Default Radio install

Hello,

Finally found and purchased a Am/FM stereo radio (62ffm1) for my car. I've been looking for about 2 years and was shocked by the prices these radio's were fetching. So I decided to try and find a radio that didn't work and hope that it could be fixed. The one I found was in a salvage yard in Washington state and cost me 175.00 shipped with no face plate or knobs, but the connecting wires were all there and uncut. When I received it, it appeared to be in pretty good shape. I took it to my dad's shop,put some power to it and confirmed it wasn't working. Two hours later and a new capacitor in the power supply, a little bit of sanding on a corroded switch, I have a working radio. So, any tips on installing it. My car didn't have a radio when I purchased it so this is new to me. I really have yet to look at what is involved in this project just hoping for some helpful advice. Still looking for the face plate and knobs. I know the face plate is available but where can a guy find the correct knobs? Oh, is there anything else I should replace in the radio while it's out? I would hate to install it and have to pull it to fix a simple problem.

Thank You, Brad

Old 01-20-2008, 03:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Regarding installation,if your car has A/C & all the lower ducts are in place,your best bet is to remove the glove box door & liner & go in through that way.
If you don't have A/C,install is pretty straightforward.
There should be a short 1/4" nc threaded stud on the steering column side of the radio chassis.
This stud slips into a slot in the vertical brace that runs from the left side of the heater control to the steel re-inforcement brace that runs along the bottom of the dash.
The bracket is probably still there as it supports the heater control.
Use a flange nut on the threaded stud.