67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to 1965GTOTempest Send a message via AIM to 1965GTOTempest
Default Headers vs manifold -- need advice

The garage just called to let me know they pulled the engine the other day. The only issue he found was my headers are "soft" and need to be replaced.

He said I should go with manifolds as that is his own personal preference. Said headers leak, manifolds won't. Less maintenance.

Remember, price doesn't matter.

So, which would you go with, and why? Pros and cons? I need to order something tomorrow or the next day

Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
Senior Chief

Good headers don't leak. Cheap gaskets and crappy installations of headers do cause leaks.

Pros for headers:

- More HP (better breathing engine)
- Better looks (come in a variety of finishes)
- Will actually last longer (if you get coated headers)

Cons:

- Clearance can be an issue (I highly recommend Doug's) - both ground clearance, spark plug clearance (harder to change them), and steering box clearance
- Not sure what you currently have for exhaust, but you may need to change out some (or all) of you existing system

Personally, I wouldn't go with stock exhaust manifolds unless I was doing a restoration where all the original parts and pieces were important.

This is just my opinion, I am sure other people's feedback will differ.

Phil

Old 01-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Headers are a bit more of a pain as some can have clearance problems on speed bumps, can be anoying on longer drives (some may not mind this) and be difficult to install. I have a 400HO motor which uses the Longbranch manifolds (better flowing factory maniflod) The manifolds can be ordered from Ramair Restorations
http://www.ramairrestoration.com/cat...b2213dbe4fc28f

Also remember if you go from a header to the factory performance manifolds you will may have to replace atleast the exhaust down tubes to mate up to the rest of the exhaust system. You need to check if your motor already has the oil filter adapter to clear the new manifolds (also sold there)
I replaced my stock longbranch manifolds with the above mentioned ones and had them ceramic coated. This helps under hood heat and keeps the manifolds looking good.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They make header bolts that keep from backing off. I believe Summit carries them. Also important to tighten them after a few miles (heat cycling expansion). If you go with a quality set that are ceramic coated (like Dougs) and follow the above, you should be ok.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcmike
They make header bolts that keep from backing off. I believe Summit carries them. Also important to tighten them after a few miles (heat cycling expansion). If you go with a quality set that are ceramic coated (like Dougs) and follow the above, you should be ok.
Locking header bolts http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294908153

Old 01-15-2008, 06:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you go back with headers ,be sure to use copper gaskets....not the crappy cardboard some use...I had that on a Chevy I had, cardboard gasket would go out, copper lasts...just need to re-tighten after a 'run in' period

my preferance is manifolds...you could mabe get the long branch ones, pretty good stuff...I have stock manifolds and dont have the clearance problems some of my friends do...most seem to hang down quite a bit under neath...looking in my rear view mirror at my buddys car..i always comment he`s got "big balls"...lol

there is another disadvantage (in most cases, not all) , headers tend to run hotter so the hot starting issue could make itself known...

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 01-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you're doing a stock rebuild you won't notice any appreciable difference in performance going with headers over Ram Air manifolds.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"
Old 01-15-2008, 08:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to 1965GTOTempest Send a message via AIM to 1965GTOTempest

He did explain to me that my headers were horribly wedged into the floorpans and I probably heard noises now and then. And, they were cheap .. big surprise.

We talked about the pipe being replaced if I went with manifold, and the best classic car exhaust guy would do the work on that. And he said if I went with manifold, don't get the cheapie ones (I wouldn't, anyway).

Before I got the new exhaust system, the headers would occasionally get tweaked on a bump. I started being more careful one the system was replaced but the car does have low headers and I have pics posted somewhere on this site.

So y'all have me torn. Looks don't matter as the car isn't stock like my 'Stang. It's not a restoration, more of replacing stuff the moron previous owner didn't or replaced cheaply (like the plastic twist tie to hold things up).

Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For what it's worth, my advise is to go with the long branch RAIII manifolds. Cleaner install, factory look, better performance, and quieter.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Senior Chief

Ceramic coated headers. Not the race, long tube kind or the shorty, block hugger type either. You'll save the extra weight and the motor will breath better. Ceramics drastically decrease underhood temps. Upgrade to different gaskets from what they come with, there are a variety of opinions regarding them among members. Who really wants to blast over speed bumps anyway?

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

"Go fast, turn left, hang on, go straight, go faster...who wouldn't wanna piss off 900 angry horses?"

1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 Coupe
1966 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 110 Convertible
1965 Oldsmobile F85 Cutlass 350 HO Coupe, soon to have Olds 403
1970 Chevrolet Nova 383 Coupe, NEW!
2007 GMC Sierra 5.3 Z71 Ext.
2007 GMC Yukon 5.3 SLT
Old 01-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks -- I went with Ram Air III longbranch manifolds. Was a tough decision but I weighed all the pros and cons of what y'all said and felt it was in my best interest to changeover.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:52 AM

Don't forget the oil filter adapter to angle the oil filter backwards to avoid contact w/lb manifolds

a69ta@woh.rr.com
Old 01-24-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965GTOTempest
Thanks -- I went with Ram Air III longbranch manifolds. Was a tough decision but I weighed all the pros and cons of what y'all said and felt it was in my best interest to changeover.
You mean the RA I D-Ports (above link), right? That's what I'm currently waiting for the UPS man to bring. Biggest thing that lead me to these is that I'll be running my Bird as a 400HO car in the Pure Stock Drags this summer.