Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 PM

Default Cut dashboard repair?

My dash on my 72 GTO has been cut from a previous owner for an aftermarket stereo. I would like to install a period correct radio and hide an aftermarket one in the glovebox. Does anyone know of how the cut out can be repaired enough to put in a factory radio and have it look good?

Thanks
Dave

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 PM

Check this post out. This is the expensive way to do it but oohhhh check out the chrome edges...lovely. As for a cheaper way...someone here will know! - Matt in LA

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=547595

Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveGB21
Cool What you may end up having to do.

On the dash board, for sure, you'll need a new dash bezel (or a good used one with the radio still intact). Depeding where you get it, it will cost you between $150 & $375. The dash board, best bet would be to get one that isn't cut. Could try to have the metal contoured to give it support (would leave this to a pro where the radio used to be). On contouring it, would be best to have the dash bezel that hasn't been cut at all. The radio is kind of heavy for the plastic to support it by itself. The plastic isn't too strong on being reinforced near the radio area. A suggestion you may try. But, it looks like your best bet is getting another dash board off a car that hasn't been cut. Also, what shape is your dash board in? If you have it out, might as well get it either reupholstered at Just Dashes or a dash cap. Third, if you decide to pull out the dash, will you want to go with the idiot lights or a rally gauge setup? If yours originally had a block plate, will you update to a clock or a tachometer? Some things to consider if you are going to tackle the dash. Believe me, I am on this project myself. Got just about everything for the dash. Only need a wiper retainer, new harness for the dash (mine is hacked up in a few places, as well as converting to rally gauges). Third, I recently got an AM radio for mine that I am going to convert to an AM/FM with an Auxilary wire for a CD Player or MP3. '69-'72 GTO/Tempest/LeMans have the black push knobs correct ('69-'72 Grand Prix will also fit, but the push knobs are chrome instead of black). Something to consider.