Old 02-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Underhood Lamp Question

My 71 HO car has the underhood lamp option. There is a wire that goes from the firewall mounted switch to the horn relay for power. The connector at the horn relay is a piggy-back style connector that looks like it should plug-in to the horn relay and then another wire will plug-in to it. The lamp itself is in fine shape and does not need replacing. The switch and actuator are also in good shape. The plastic piggy-back connector on the horn relay end of the harness is melted so I am looking for a new harness to replace just that section - from the switch to the relay.

I found the picture below on the M&H Electric website. In a message left by Robert from their customer service department, he describes this item # 18410 as a complete kit, including the wire from the (mercury switch??? mine is not a mercury switch) to the horn relay and includes a fuse. Looking at the picture, this does not look anything like the wiring harness I need.

Has anyone slain this dragon before and if so, how, what, where, etc. All I really need is one of those piggy-back connectors to fix it. I checked PY's catalog and they describe the same item as M&H for the same price.

TIA.

BJ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18410.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	121525  

Old 02-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey BJ:

I e-mailed you a couple of illustrations. They should help you out.

Good luck!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 02-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got it and it's exactly how my car is set up. I'll send that along to M&H and I'll bet they can match it perfectly.

Thanks Lloyd,

BJ

Old 02-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey BJ, you can replace the piggy back connector and the terminals inside, just attach the wires to the new terminals and slide the terminals into the "new" piggyback plug. That's what I would do and it would look exactly as it should

Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 PM

Hey BJ -The pic you put up and the lamp M&H is listing is not an exact repro of the original underhood lamp. I know,. I have one. It is a kit they make that attaches literally to the underside of the hood. That's why it has a mercury switch. If you look closely, it also isn't exactly the same where the wires go into the light socket/fixture in the back. Aames used to carry an original repro but are now apparently out of stock and only have that too now. I want to change it to an original style switch which looks somewhat like the dome light door switch. Do you know if there is a switch I can use that is similar? Do you have pics of your original switch and set up? Lloyd would you mind e-mailing me those illustrations? Thanks - Matt in L.A

Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Illustrations are "in the mail", Scott.

Forrest - do you have a source for that "piggyback" connector body?

BJ - is your original piggyback connector body a white-ish translucent color, or black?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:51 AM

I just bought a orginal underhood light off of ebay. I bought it just for that bracket that turns that switch on and off. My light and wiring was still good and I had located a nos switch.I will try and upload some pictures of the one I bought.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SWITCH.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	121625   Click image for larger version

Name:	switch1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	121626  

Old 02-07-2008, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
BJ - is your original piggyback connector body a white-ish translucent color, or black?
Lloyd, mine is black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Hey BJ, you can replace the piggy back connector and the terminals inside, just attach the wires to the new terminals and slide the terminals into the "new" piggyback plug. That's what I would do and it would look exactly as it should
Forrest, that is what I would rather do because all I really need is a new piggy-back connector.

So, if anybody has a line on where to find one, I'll be waiting patiently for your post.

I've posted the pictures that Lloyd supplied so you can see what the connector looks like. (Thanks again Lloyd)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Underhood Lamp A-body.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	121629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underhood Lamp Horn Relay Wiring Detail.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	121630  

Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let us know if / when you find a source for that piggyback connector body, BJ.

By the way, I like to leave my hood open at car shows / cruise-ins, many times I'm there for several hours. After dark it's nice to have the engine compartment illuminated, so I don't like to pull the bulb. Not wishing to drain my battery excessively, I looked through my bulb spec books and came up with a bulb which draws about 1/2 the power as the bulb which was in there, yet is still plenty bright. Of course I can't recall the bulb # I used, but I'll check it out and post it here.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd-TX
Let us know if / when you find a source for that piggyback connector body, BJ.
Lloyd: I just got off the phone with Robert at M&H. I had forwarded to him the e-mail you sent me with the drawings. He is going to do some research to see, but thinks they can easily duplicate this set-up. I will post whatever I get back from him for all to see.
BJ

Old 02-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey BJ, I might have one somewhere here in my "little junkyard" I'll try to find one this weekend, I'm pretty sure I'll find one, will let you know by sunday

Old 02-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
Hey BJ, I might have one somewhere here in my "little junkyard" I'll try to find one this weekend, I'm pretty sure I'll find one, will let you know by sunday
Forrest, that would be awesome! I'll bring you a 6-pack of your favorite adult beverage that we will consume whilst admiring your handiwork!! (Maybe a 12-pack instead)

FYI, the GTO club is cruising down to Summit Racing tomorrow if you are interested

BJ

Old 02-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As promised, here is what I got back from M&H - Looks like they are going to be adding a lot of neat stuff to their GTO catalog!

Quote:

BJ,

As it turns out, one of our guys has spent months researching new part numbers to add to our GTO catalog, and he just finished it this past week.

Among the new parts is an “underhood lamp switch to horn relay” harness, PN 40576, that is about three feet long. It includes that ‘piggyback’ connector from the horn relay and a female connector on the other end. I believe that is exactly what you’re looking for.

I also came up with a harness that connects the underhood lamp itself to the switch (PN 40578). It is comprised of two female connectors – one on each end – and is approx. 8-inches long.

Please give me a call on Monday and let me know if either of these harnesses sound like what you need for your ’71 Goat. These parts are not yet in our catalog, but we shouldn’t have any trouble fabricating one or both of them for you.

Thanks and have a great weekend!

Robert Wallace

Customer Service

M&H Electric Fabricators, Inc.
13537 Alondra Blvd.
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
Phone: (562) 926-9552 ext. 209
Fax: (562) 926-9572
robert@wiringharness.com

Old 02-09-2008, 11:13 AM

Thanks BJ from me too. I bought M&Hs under hood lamp fixture from Aames and to make it like the real deal, it needs a lot of fabrication. That will help. I've called M&H before but with this contact, the fabrication may have gotten a lot easier. Any suggestions about fabricating or locating the switch and it's mount/assembly? - Matt in L.A.