Old 03-30-2008, 07:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default Trouble with code alarm car alarm

This this is junk, the car came with it already installed, and seemed to work fine despite the sketchy wiring job underneath. There is a box that says chapman, and a sensor unit that is called code alarm irs3. There is a 2 button remote for arm and disarm.

After I had my exhaust installed with Electrics Cutouts, the alarm started acting a little off....the first thing I noticed was that the key buzzer started merely by opening the door with nothing in the ignition.

A few days ago, my alarm unit stopped responding to the remote and automatically armed or locked itself somehow so that even disconnecting the battery does not reset it. I can not get the alarm to disarm and anytime I open the door it starts going off and stays that way.

I couldn't find any manual or anything, can anyone offer some advice?

Original 350, with 69' #46 heads, crower 60240, 9.3:1 cr
Old 03-30-2008, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a Chapman on my '93...it came with it installed also.

An additional way to disarm the alarm is: there should be a toggle switch installed somewhere under the dash that enables the alarm. There is also a small pushbutton.

To manually disable: enter the vehicle, turn the key to ON and depress the pushbutton momentarily. That should shut off the alarm. Once it's off, flip the toggle switch to keep the alarm off.

Mine has a block that's attached to the battery cable at the battery...I believe it's a current sensor so if something draws a higher level of current (like the courtesy lights when you open the door) it triggers the alarm. If yours is similar, perhaps you have something drawing current therefore triggering the alarm.

George

Old 03-31-2008, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the alarm doesn't disable the car, find its power supply and unhook it. It should have a fuse, probably in the wiring mess under the dash. If it does disable the car, you will have to put original wires back together.

The module for the alarm is probably wired in with the ignition switch like George said.
If the module has gone bad, it could turn on the buzzer.

You need to look at how the wiring to your cut outs was hooked up. It may be interfering with the alarm system.

If the alarm module has gone bad, it will not respond to the clicker.

Hard to get after market alarms repaired.
You may have to buy a whole new set up.

My old alarm went bad and started doing the same thing yours is. It did not have switches. I had to unhook the power supply on it. The one on my wifes truck does have the switch. It went bad and cutting the switch off stoped the alarm. I did have to reconnect the starter wires for it to crank.

Keep us updated on what you find.