Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*
Default Anyone ever make themselves a set of Tubular Control ARms

My cousin Works for Danohoe racing, now named Icon Racing, i showed him my car with the engine out and he looked at my front end suspension and asked me if i wanted to go to his shop on the weekends so that we can make some customs tubular control arms. of course i was like heck yea, but one of my biggest concearns is where am i going to get the geometry for fabricating them? is there a website or does anyone have info on how i can make the control arms for my 67 bird?

is it worth the try or is it too difficult to make? if we do go for the project i plan on using coil over springs, and he has a "connection" with eibach springs do they make a good set of coil overs?

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 04-08-2008, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

grab a set of OEM stamped and go from there...

Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 PM

I did and trust me when I tell you it is harder than it looks. Can it be done absolutely, are you going to walk right into the shop and whip up a control arm in a matter of an hour.NO. When I did my suspension I did a lot of reading and asked a lot of questions. I completely layed out a full size diagram that had all the suspension points and then I took all those measurements and tranfered that data to a computer program to run the suspension through its motion. It you car is set up for straight line your job will be easier, for roadracing there are more factors to take into effect. Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_transferfile 467.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	128580   Click image for larger version

Name:	gto121.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	128581  

Old 04-08-2008, 10:20 PM
Senior Chief

GTOroadracer, I read the article on your car in HPP not too long ago. What a car!
I hope you're tearing up some import a-- at the race track?!?!

Brian

Old 04-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*

yea i read your article too Congrats!!!

I dont know how the frames is designed on your car, but on mine where the control arms connects to the frame its a little different.... did you cut some of the frame off?
ill post pics to show the difference.

did you cut off the part where the control arms originally attach too? (look at arrows on my pic )

is your set up for adjusting camber and caster? also is that shock mount for a good shock travel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_transferfile 467.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	128648   Click image for larger version

Name:	frame1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	128651  

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 04-09-2008, 08:33 PM

Both frames are very similiar on how the control arms are mounted. When I designed my suspension I cut all that metal out and welded new metal for a clean start. From there I ploted all my suspension pivot points and balljoint locations. It takes time, I would say it took months of planning and building to get it right. The shock has great travel, the total travel of the shock is 5 inches 3.5 inches on compression and 1.5 inches on rebound which is more than on some newer cars. My best advise will be is get a really good game plan together and think it carefully through.