The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 05-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Senior Chief

Default aftermarket bumpers

Can somone give me some input on there experiences with the aftermarket GTO bumpers as far as fitment and quality. Im looking for a 67 rear bumper. Its not going to be a concourse car by any means but i dont want something thats going to look silly or take a ton of man hours to get it to fit right. Are these worth the $100 I would save by not having a core rechromed. Im in no hurry so the wait wouldnt be an issue. I was also thinking of going glass and having it painted with this new chrome spray system I have read about.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:32 AM

I was kicking around the same thoughts myself and from what i hear the aftermarket bumpers "like you say" dont fit as well plus the quality of the chrome is not very good..
If your core is good and waiting 6-12 weeks to have it rechromed isn't a problem I'd have yours rechromed if you were only going to save a $100 buying an aftermarket bumper.........my 2 cents

shawn

Old 05-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks, I was looking at one at a swapmeet yesterday, the finish looked good but ive heard horror stories about how they fit and they were flimsy. The guy wanted $200 for it, I had both my kids with me and it wouldnt fit in the car so I was going to get it today but he said it would be $275 today. No need to do business with people like that anyways. I have few nice cores I can rechrome.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a front and a rear for my current 67 and was Happy with the parts for the price. Not for a concourse car but absolutley fine for a driver or local show car. they are a litle lighter than originals but that just makes them easiser to tweek when installing. I had zezo issues fitting mine. I will post some pictures later tonight so you can see what they look like.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t7goat
I bought a front and a rear for my current 67 and was Happy with the parts for the price. Not for a concourse car but absolutley fine for a driver or local show car. they are a litle lighter than originals but that just makes them easiser to tweek when installing. I had zezo issues fitting mine. I will post some pictures later tonight so you can see what they look like.
Thanks, id appreciate it.

Old 05-04-2008, 08:17 PM

If you got to see the bumper and the finish looked good it may have been worth wild to buy it for $200..TriCity plating charges around $500 to rechrome rear bumpers and i think its a lifetime warranty to the original buyer.But its a $300 difference in price.

And I thought as each day went by things got cheaper at swapmeets? Maybe I'm wrong..wouldn't be the first time.. but it sounds like this guy was a jerk.....good luck

Shawn

Old 05-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn's67GTO

And I thought as each day went by things got cheaper at swapmeets? Maybe I'm wrong..wouldn't be the first time.. but it sounds like this guy was a jerk.....good luck

Shawn
Yes thats usually the case, this guy was just being an ahole. Maybe it was a good deal but his basic attitude rubbed me the wrong way as if he thought he was another one of these Pontiac Gods.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here are a couple of pictures. Hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bp3.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	131688   Click image for larger version

Name:	bp2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	224.3 KB
ID:	131689   Click image for larger version

Name:	bp1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	131690  

Old 05-05-2008, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought a rear bumper for my '68 from Ames. It fit and looked fine for my non-show car. The only issue was the original bolts didn't quite fit thru the holes. The square carriage part on the bolts were slightly to big. I had the square part on the bolts shaved off at a machine shop. Tried to find slightly smaller bolts, but they were to small, with to much play in the holes.