Old 05-04-2008, 05:34 PM

Default No spark from coil?????

I 'm trying to get my 65 Cat started. I'm not getting any spark out of the coil. The Engine wiring harness is new from M&H. I've installed a spare coil I had on the shell to make sure that was not the issue. But I get the same thing.

I have 12 volts at the positive side of the coil with the key at the run position........ but when i turn the key to the start position and as the engine turns over i get about 8 volts at the positive side of the coil and no visible spark from the coil wire when held to a ground.

Does this sound correct???? Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Brian

Old 05-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should have close to battery voltage cranking, which is normally about 10 to 11 volts. You would need to measure the voltage at the battery to compare the two.

That said, you should have spark with 8 volts (thats about what the coil operates on with the engine running). Connect a 12V test light to the negative side of the coil (the other end to ground). It should flash when you crank the engine. If it stays bright, the points aren't closing. If it stays off, the points aren't opening. Or there's an open or short to ground in the wire to the distributor.

If it flashes and you still don't have spark either the coil is bad or the coil wire is open.

"I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition...!"
'69 Cameo White RA III Judge, 4 speed, owned since 1977 -- my first car.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:11 AM

Default Okay tried that

I hooked up my volt meter as suggested and got no voltage at the negative side on the coil wile cranking the engine over.

I have the cap off and it appears as though the points are opening and closing but no visible arch????

Thoughts???

Old 05-05-2008, 01:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hook up dwell meter, crank motor, should be 30º dwell, adjust as necessary while cranking

Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian jones
I hooked up my volt meter as suggested and got no voltage at the negative side on the coil wile cranking the engine over.

I have the cap off and it appears as though the points are opening and closing but no visible arch????

Thoughts???
1) The coil primary could be open (no continuity)
2) The points aren't opening
3) The condenser is shorted
4) The breaker lead from coil "-" to distributor is shorted to ground

Unhook the breaker lead to the distributor and see if you have voltage. If not, the coil is open. If you do, it's in the distributor.

"I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition...!"
'69 Cameo White RA III Judge, 4 speed, owned since 1977 -- my first car.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:07 PM

Default Fixed it.

Thanks for the help!

Turns out the points were not closing due to being way out of adjustment. After setting them correctly I got spark and was able to start the car.