Old 05-19-2008, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Repro brake boosters vs. original...

The nice reproduction booster that has the correct delco stamp is it identical to an original in appearance? I have seen them and they look nice but are they real close to an original? My original booster is pitted and looks okay even with the few year old re-plating but wont get any better looking so I'm thinking of the reproduction.

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.

Last edited by Mark Simiele; 05-19-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mark you cant beat them nor restore for that price. The only diff is your original has a small tab on the seem & that is date stamped, the only other diff i have found is on my original judge the AC is upside down & on pass side, i guess it just depends on who assembled them....

AC Cobra Kit Car 521 670 HP/715 Trq
LOOKING FOR V PARTS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This one looks nice, from the same dealer who has the metal tail light bezels...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/67-68...spagenameZWDVW

67 Bonneville 428 convertible one of one Verdoro green w/parchment, documented GM brass hat parade car with every option for 67, non running MAJOR future project.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that 1 is nice, its not the one i got, mine came with correct MC & from diff seller

Old 05-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont need the MC, just the booster. Why is this vendor over $100 cheaper than Ames or PY for the same part? Am I missing something here? The ones from Ames and MC are also just the booster, not paired with a MC and they are around $235.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ive bought from him before with NO issuses........ i think mine with the MC was $250

Old 05-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Simiele
The nice reproduction booster that has the correct delco stamp is it identical to an original in appearance? I have seen them and they look nice but are they real close to an original? My original booster is pitted and looks okay even with the few year old re-plating but wont get any better looking so I'm thinking of the reproduction.
There are 2 companies making the reproduction boosters - MB is the first it is an excellent piece with or with out the delco stamp. The stamp is worth a few bucks more and plenty of originals did not have them. The booster is made off the 69 Camaro so the booster rod is a bit different from the A-body but works fine. The stamping lines are more crisp. and there is no number on the face tab.

ABS brake is the other manufacture and it is also very good - the stamping is not as crisp as the original and again the camaro booster. I like the MB one it looks a bit more like the original. The best part is the price $89-$139 and it is brand new.

the rebuilders get $125-175 and the results may not be show quality depending on the condition of the booster you send - usually pitts. Plenty of dealers carry them - Hope this helps John - inline tube

Old 05-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, which one do you sell? How much?

Old 05-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Simiele
John, which one do you sell? How much?
we sell the MB it is the nicer one and it is on our ebay store for $89.00 i know you have bought from me before so check the store.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone know the ebay store / user name?

Old 05-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper
Anyone know the ebay store / user name?
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmotorcitymusclecar

Old 05-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcitymusclecar
The stamp is worth a few bucks more and plenty of originals did not have them.
Sure would like to see an original without a stamp.

I've seen some cars claiming to have the orig. booster. All they did was replace the front cover with a repro cover and retained the orig. back cover with the date tab. Then explained that theirs was one of the few that did not get a stamp.

Repros are pretty easy to spot if you know which character lines to look for.

I've talked to 2 rebuilders and they both offered to do the swap for me.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:15 PM

I have seen lots of original cars that don't have the "Delco" stamp on the booster. In fact I own three myself. It's certainly nothing I have kept track of but I may have seen as many without the stamp as I do with ther stamp. Also not just "A" bodies but I have noticed it on "F" body's too.

I recently got an MB unit like mentioned above and it is very nice.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Plenty of cars do not have the delco stamp on the booster just go to a local cruse nite and look around - also the stamp is on any of the 3 flat pads and somitimes up side down. I have also heard of the rebuilders putting on a new face and had heard plenty of problems with the booster leaking and comming apart. The re-pop is not so close that i would be interchanging pieces and expect it to work.

what reason would you have to rebuild a unit for more money if you could buy it new and then replace the front face with a re-pop face when that is the entire reason for rebuilding the unit in the first place.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Senior Chief

Another option is Steve Gregori. Most recently, his prices were $425.00 for an original date correct brake booster, restored. $250.00 for orginal but non-date correct. I guess that means that if you seek a date correct unit, he has to look for it and charge the additional $175.00. However, if you don't state the date and it shows up and is correct, good for you.

Anyway, I just had my original booster restored by him. Its stunning. And don't forget how the booster stands out in the engine. The Delco stamp was upside down, and so light it was almost unreadable.

Steve is in California and his number is 559-875-0290. Excellent service even if a little expensive.

Steve also has some correct (EA) master cylinders. $160.00. He does not restore but recommends Karps (909-985-0800) also in CA. Sold unrestored.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone know if he has original master cylinder caps replated for sale?