Pontiac - Race The next Level

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Brad,

I have tried to help you whenever I can and so has Tom V. I answer your PM’s and phone calls to the best of my ability (but apparently not as good as yours) and for you to try to insult my ability to tune my car, let alone Tom V.’s tuning ability is amazing. As I’ve always stated, good luck with your set-up and I hope you get it squared away.

Here’s the answers to your questions that you asked Lil Jack:

Quote: “if either of them want to give me any advise i will listen.”

Answer: You have to call in order to help.

Quote:
“brian or tom have more experience with a blow-thru on a pontiac than me????”

Answer: Never said I did.

Quote: “so if i did fly brian out for a weekend what do you think he could tell me about the innerworkings of a csu carberator to get it to flow about 40% more volume and lower the a/f ratio 3points than it has.”

Answer: I don’t know what you are doing to be able to tell you either way. Both you and Ray are talking so encrypted no one can make heads or tales if you have a different blower, added an I/C, changed the chassis, etc.

Quote: “.(has he modified his carb, does he know what jets(front and back),what diameter of all 3 of the pvcr's(front and back), what diameter booster tubes, what size the hs airbleeds(front and back), what size needle and seats(all four), and if vent tube extensions were used and ther effect on a/f ratios. does he know what the fuel pressure is before and after the regulator, boost in the hat, boost in the manifold, intake manifold tempeture, a/f ratio as it relates to boost and rpm, timing curve(boost referenced), exhuast gas tempeture, and voltage. with all these sensors”

Answer: I will answer your questions as you presented them. No, I haven’t had to modify my carb. Yes, I know what jets are in them. As far as pvcr’s, I have no idea what size they are. No, I don’t know what size booster tubes I have or airbleeds. Yes, I know the size of my needle and seats (all two) because I’ve gotten my carburetor to work with only two, not four. No, my carburetor doesn’t have vent tubes and yes I know what they do to the AFR’s. Yes, I know what my fuel pressure is both before and after the regulator. Before I changed some things around, I knew what both boost readings were(in the hat/manifold). I don’t have an intake temperature probe to tell what my intake temperature is. Yes, I have a spreadsheet that tells me exactly what my AFR’s are in relation to my rpm. Yes, I know how to use a map sensor for the timing curve. No, I don’t have an EGT or volt meter.

You have my number, if you should chose, you can call me and we can discuss what going on with your car. If not, that's fine too. I wish you the best.

Making CVWHAT's great again. I guess it took a deplorable ECM member to do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cox View Post
Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Fastest Blow-thru Pontiac powered car in the Country 8.440@166.97 (3465lbs)

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)

Last edited by bad69bird; 07-11-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-11-2008, 10:06 PM
Boost Engineer

People should know that what you (Brad) post on the board and what you (Brad) do through a PM seems to sometimes different. Everytime you have PMed me for help I have given you my best info based on the limited info that you (Brad) provided.

I own one of Kevin's CSU Blow-thru carbs (I acquired in exchange for some rods Dennis wanted for his Pontiac Lemans.) I have not used that carb but I can give you every spec in that carb, and what the mod does, if I wanted to. I know Holley carbs.

Deal is Kevin is trying to make a living SELLING Blow thru carb calibrations, therefore I don't provide that info to people on the street.

Looks to me like you had some issues again and hurt some gaskets due to possibly a severely lean Air/Fuel ratio. I have to ask why you ran the car in the first place when you knew the air/fuel curve was not right.

When I was working with Marty Palbykin on his efi deal years ago we tested on the dyno until we had a great baseline fuel curve. Then we went to the track and tested
until the 60 fts were good and we had the right air/fuel on the track. After that the 330 part of the track, then the 1/8th mile, the 1000 ft, and finally the 1320 passes.

We did the deal SLOWLY and took small steps. We came to Norwalk with a GTO that ran 194 mph with a d-port 240 cfm head and a 67 GTO block. A lot faster than anyone else at the time and just as quick as maybe the 10 best passes by other guys since. Course what did we know. Marty Palbykin was a Corporate Jet Pilot and I was a lowly Ford Engineer vs being a RACER.

Still we went fast. Marty called me a couple of days ago on another project we are working on together. We are still good friends.

I hope you get your deal sorted out with the help of Ray, Brad.

Tom V.

If you look at my Avitar you will see a twin turbo Vette (I am in the pic) where I provided the turbos for the project in 1977. I was still working for Holley at the time. It was a blow thru deal. Did you own your pontiac firebird in 1977 Brad?

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd be thinkin hmmm CSU carbs on other cars like Ford chevy and Mopar have gone and are going quicker with out reinventing the carb.

Many/most guys going quicker 60's and ets DONT carry the front wheels any longer and certainly no higher than possible (some not at all). This may be your real issue.

With the launch aLtitude your talkin about I think I would want "UPleg"(use your imagination on that one) rear boosters and my rear float set to almost drip fuel from them at idle.

No carb expert(but I have gotten dangerously intimate with them a few times). HOWEVER, its been my experience that when something isnt working right, that normally works right for others, you dont try to reinvent it. Much better to start at the beginning and take ONE step at a time till you figure out the stupid problem you missed, ignored, or mistakenly created. 30+ years of being a tech, "field" instructor, and "sr" tech has taught me that much.

Cant help too much with blow thru I'm limited to old school draw through turbo stuff.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Indiana boys philosopy is "pill it to you kill it".

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 07-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

If Brad would have stayed with the CSU carb on "gas" he would probably be doing cartwheels right now, however, always wanting to "test the limits" and push the envelope, he has suffered a setback, but I'm sure he, and Kevin at CSU, will get it figured out. Being "corn fed" is an all together different tuneup than Gas! i think you guys can figure out the rest. there's alot of "non-pontiac" blow thru setups going real fast on "corn squeezin" LOL!

Old 07-13-2008, 12:22 AM
Senior Chief

ethanol needs ALOT more fuel.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Boost Engineer

If he is messing with ethanol 98% stuff or even E-85 he better have an even better fuel pump than his gas pump for proper VOLUME of FUEL required. It is a system deal vs "I think I will try some E-85 fuel in my car".

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
If he is messing with ethanol 98% stuff or even E-85 he better have an even better fuel pump than his gas pump for proper VOLUME of FUEL required. It is a system deal vs "I think I will try some E-85 fuel in my car".

Tom V.
Tom, I know he has supposedly talked to Kevin from CSU on this E85 deal from the begining. however, the current results ( lean,head gaskets blown) were not expected by either one of them, Tom, Any advice you could give Brad or Kevin on this deal, I'm sure they would value your imput on this!

Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope Brad isn't playing with E-85 with that blower! There have been some people that have had some success using it with our old school carburetors naturally aspirated, but the blower worries me, and here's why:

E-85 is a flex fuel. What does this mean? It means its intended use is on vehicles whose electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition are controlled by a computer that is capable of monitoring and adjusting for varying fuel types. E-85 doesn't always mean 15% gasoline and 85% ethanol. Per government regulations, E-85 can contain as low as 70% ethanol by volume and still be legally sold as E-85. Now imagines Brad's combo all dialed in on a tank of the 70% blend, and he purchases fresh fuel and it turns out to be an 85% blend. A naturally aspirated combo won't hurt so much, but with Brad making his own atmosphere, look out. Best to just stick with VP C-16 (or better) or straight methanol.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure seems like alot of combo changes to be a straight swap 1 vs another deal.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Suspended

Default Too many steps!

Running E-85 sounds cool but you would think he would get it dialed in on racing gas first.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
Running E-85 sounds cool but you would think he would get it dialed in on racing gas first.
You would think that he would, but thats the Indiana boys for ya!

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 07-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"you would think he would get it dialed in on racing gas first."

I Totally Agree! See George, we can agree on some things.

Tom V.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
You would think that he would, but thats the Indiana boys for ya!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Quote:

"you would think he would get it dialed in on racing gas first."

I Totally Agree! See George, we can agree on some things.

Tom V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post

I have to agree with everyone. Get the car straightened out first with ole' reliable C-16...then if you still want more start messing with the "E", IMO, FWIW (but what do I know ). Just food for thought Brad.

Quote:

Fastest Pontiac CV-1 car on the planet with only 6 passes on the combo: 4.80@147.65/ 7.49@180.12MPH (3365lbs)
Old 07-14-2008, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

E85 from whatI've been reading seems to require 30-35% more jet and other fuel passages. Probably indicating needing 30-35% more pump capacity too.

IIRC methanol 6:1 Ethanol 9:1 isopropanol around 10.5 air fuel ratio. vs typical 12:1 range for Gasoline. You also haveto account for difference in specific gravity in terms of pounds fuel flow required. (Specific gravity is weight of fuel. If comparing in gallons it is the weight of one gallon of water equaling a value of 1 and the percentage of weight that the fuel wieghs compared to the gallon of water.) Study up on mass flo both air and fuel. 100 octane AV gas is lighter than 100 octane unleaded race gas. AV gas will run leaner because of the difference in specific gravity.

You best get some EGT monitoring equipment before you even trust an o2 sensor or plug readings! Its no fun opening up your motor to find what looks like someone was inside with a plasma cutter!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow are you guys serious!! we would never think to do or check any of these things!!! Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!

Mat it! Spray it! Chute it! Just another 8 Second Pass!
Old 07-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sory to be such an a$$hole guys, i guess it is just in my nature. i did not mean any disrespect m coments, that why they were not directed at anyone personaly. i guess i should just stop trying to do things diferent than anyone else, but i don't think that is in my nature. the car car was diled in perfect with my old boost and old race gas combo.didn't make any passes on the track but all the other testing and data was real close. keven set the carb setup fo E85. fist pass it went 6.10(launch rpm @3200). a/f ratio was 16:1. talked with K. and richend the sec up from 98jets to .136" and loosened the BRPV's,( launched the car at 4krpm),car went 5.92 then for the last pass, took out the rear jet totaly put .118" prmary jets and launched the car @4700rpm on the converter. it left super hard like the old nitrous days( in my avitar). i was looking at the left guardrail(was in the left lane) to see if the car was going straight or not- i can not see anything but blue sky in front of me. jsust about when i was going to pull second gear @7300rpm the car quit and slamed to the ground. a wire came loose in the trunk that killed the car. all i can say is that from the seat of the pants adn the blue sky i saw i know it was not the front tires that tripped the beams(been three done this back in 1996. a/f ratio on this short run was in the lo 14:1 range, so we were making some progress. i was advised to install jet tube extensions and try that to lower the A/F ratio. for the next session. made them, carb actted totaly dif., had to jet it way down in the fron and back, was told if i got the A/F ratio good on thr T-break it would be good down the track. had to install smaller squiters, and move the the jets to 82/88 .launched it, at 6000rpm in low, gear it poped so bad i thought about 3rods oet go. got lucky and it was ony head gaskets. so as far as think jettubr extensions are not good

Old 07-15-2008, 12:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Quote:
Wow are you guys serious!! we would never think to do or check any of these things!!! Holly cow we must be some dume corn huskers here in indiana or somthing!!!
Ray that would be Nebraska...

Amber waves of grain would be Indiana...

Or Hoosier daddy...

Old 07-15-2008, 12:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Brad, the best are always trying something new. If you copy someone else you'll always be 2nd best.

You'll get it.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Don't be a richard head! Apparently, there must be some truth to your statement..."dume" is spelled "dumb".

With all of your vast experience in blow-thru's and nitrous tuning experience, you should know that sometimes the simple things that are right in front of you are the last thing you check...but you already knew that didn't you!

Quote:

Closed Thread