Old 09-09-2008, 11:21 PM

Default 64 convertible frame - what interchanges?

I have a 64 lemans/gto convertible and the frame has some bad spots in it. I'm going to replace the whole frame. I was wondering what interchanges with a 64 convertible? I know that converts are a little beefer(my dad has a 66 chevlle convert). I just found a 64 gto hardtop locally that could be used for parts. Any info would be appreciated.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Senior Chief

The convertible frames are boxed so the hardtop cannot be a donor for this. I believe 64 & 65 frames are interchangeable.

Current Project:
'67 Catalina Convertible
400 4-spd
Old 09-10-2008, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I assume you mean the Chassis Frame. The convertible version is boxed along the frame side rails (Coupe frame is an open C channel section) and was also used as the Heavy Duty Frame option for the Coupes.

Generally speaking, any GM A body convertible frame from '64-'67 will interchange. Chevelle, Skylark, Cutlass, Tempest. The '64 Chevelle convert frame might be a shade different, might not be boxed in the rear extension like the BOP version, would have to compare side by side. Not sure other year Chevelles.

There were design changes each year. The '65 BOP frame had an improved attachment design for the rear cross member as Pontiac tried to figure out how to prevent the rear crossmember from tearing apart at the frame side rail, especially in manual trans GTO applications. The '67 GTO Auto Trans Frame had a specific trans crossmember mount location since it got the longer TH-400 trans. It can be modified to suit. The '67 non-GTO and GTO Man Trans had the same mount location as for all '64-'66. There may be differences in the spring pockets year to year, I'm not familiar with that detail.

But unless you can readily find one at a reasonable price, you may do better to repair what you have. Unless it is bent up.

If it is rotted in places, you may be able to repair it with sections from a Coupe frame which will be a shade easier to find, simply because there were more of them. Depends where it has rotted I guess. But either way, patches can be welded to the existing frame.

If you need to know metal thicknesses for specific frame pieces, I can provide that info for the '64 frames.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:33 AM

I found a 64 tempest convert frame in MS. $1500. I'd say tempest would work but thought i would just check and may sure.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyard junky View Post
I found a 64 tempest convert frame in MS. $1500. I'd say tempest would work but thought i would just check and may sure.
GTO/Lemans/Tempest frames are all the same.

Welcome to the PY forums.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Boost Engineer

I found a very good 1966 LeMans convertible frame in Georgia many years ago with very light pitting. No rust really anywhere. I swapped that frame under my 64 GTO convertible as that frame was so much better than my original frame. I paid $1,000 for the frame delivered to my house by truck. I had the frame checked for straightness at a local body shop that does a LOT of circle track stuff. Scott Tiemann did the chassis swap and had no issues. He also detailed the frame/chassis for me. It is worth EVER DOLLAR you spend as the FRAME IS THE BACKBONE OF THE CAR. JMO

For all of you purists, I did not change the VIN number on top of the rear portion of the frame. There are several other locations for the 64 GTO VIN on the body besides the Door VIN tag so I did not worry about the frame number. I have the bills from Tiemann showing the swap. 64-67 Vert frames will swap.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:06 PM

Junkyard,
PM sent.
Bob

Old 09-14-2008, 07:47 AM

I'm in the same shape with my 65 i thought some el camino,buicks,& olds would work if not worried about being correct.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:14 PM

I don't mean to through cold water on the idea of making goat better but frame swapping can be dangerous to ones freedom. It is a felony to do so without going through the dismantle and reconstruct titles in the two states that I am familiar with, it's also a federal felony as well. Even though it's not done to defraud anyone you could still be up against it if the man was to push it. I personally would do a lot of patching before putting myself and or my car at risk. I say this because I know someone who lost his car and a lot of money because he didn't do it right. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Take it for what it's worth. Stay safe.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:21 PM

I guess all the people who put nova and camaro subframes in the older cars(such as 40-50 cars and trucks) are felons too. Not to mention all the s10 frame swaps that go on. There is only so much patching a person can do.

I would hope that the government has something alot better to do than chase down people working on there car. The local dmv here barely can transfer a vehicle in the same county.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Boost Engineer

I will check with Bansheee (Detroit LEO) but three other LEOs said not to worry about it. The door vin is still there and valid.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-16-2008, 11:45 PM

ok if a person wanted to take a chance, will 67 el camino frame work on 64-65 lemans convertible. I think i saw it here somewhere there are slight diffrence but cant find the thread. Any info. would be great.