Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Senior Chief

Default Rice burning lawn mower

I want to replace my POS mower - 22", now that year end sales are getting ready to go on. My last mower has a Honda engine on it and I still have to have it serviced during the year because it won't start. I do not know much about small engines, but I do know to have it tuned at the start of each season. It's not like I neglect it. I have been told that most small engines these days are designed to last only 3 years or so. Is this true? Bottom line - I am tired of this POS and want a new one. Can someone recommend one that will last.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sears? The 22inch 6hp I have hasn't caused me any problems in three years.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:22 PM
Senior Chief

Sheesh, I thought Honda would be capable of designing a long lasting mower engine.
I'm used to using hand me down junk mowers with Briggs & Stratton. And They always seem to just keep running. They easily outlast the mower bodies anyway.
We've got this POS 20" mower that the wheels are nearly falling off, but it starts and runs great as long as the carb gets primed.

About all I've ever done is change the oil once a year.

How is the body and running gear on yours? I would be looking into adapting a B&S onto it, but that might be more work than it's worth.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:25 PM
Senior Chief

Back in the early seventies, our family had a Sears push mower that lasted for at least eight years.

My brother in Georgia has one I think he got at Wal Mart, I don't remember what brand it is but it has a green body with yellow engine cover. I remember seeing the same thing in Wal Mart. It is not a John Deere though. Anyway he leaves it outside without covering it all the time, and I doubt he ever changed the oil in it. That thing starts right up and goes. The wheels seem to have held up good on it too.

Last edited by Tin Injun Tom; 10-13-2008 at 08:38 PM. Reason: add info
Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Senior Chief

danpaul, that Honda isn't a 2-cycle by any chance? If so, then I can see why you call it a POS. My friend owns one (2-cycle, not Honda), and it is the most finicky thing to start I ever saw. You have to prime it some or it won't start. But if you prime it too much it won't start either. Even when you've been running it, and shut it off to empty the bag. Don't wait too long or you'll be messin' around trying to start it again.
Now it could be, that it is just wore out. But I thought 2-cycles were supposed to be inheretnly long lasting. I don't think his is more than 4 years old, and it's been acting like this for the last two years.
It seems like the 2-cycles require new spark plugs frequently, also.

30 years ago, I worked at a golf course, and all their push mowers were Jacobsons, 2-cycle. Those seemed to start OK, but still I remember changing the spark plug on them on a regular basis.

Old 10-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That does seem odd - Honda lawnmowers have a great reputation for reliability, maybe you just got a lemon. My mower is about 40 years old so I don't have a lot of personal experience with new ones, but I'd recommend Toro (they're based here in Minnesota) or Lawn Boy (they're owned by Toro.)

Old 10-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's funny. All we ever used going back to the days of my grandfather are 2 cycle mowers. They are as easy to work on as dirt. My 10 year old even knows how to work on them! Properly tuned and maintained, they are reliable as a swiss watch and can last a lifetime.

Most of the complaints about 2 cycle mowers is really fear of the unknown by the consumer. The biggest problem is letting the gas go stale (same problem with 4 cycles) and improper mixing. But you never have to change the oil and they don't care if you go up the side of a hill on a 45 degree angle, which would kill most 4 strokes that rely on crankcase oiling.

I agree you probably got a bum Honda, but they DO get their fair share of failures as well. It is a myth that Hondas are heaven sent. Most of them are Made in China these days.

And watch out for the new Cub mowers as they are equipped with Chinese mystery engines as well.

Lawn Boy, sadly is no longer 2 cycle engines thanks to the Goose Steppers at EPA.
They come with Tecumseh or Honda 4 cycle engines now.

Good luck, the old reliable names are all but gone. Lot's of throw away stuff to choose from these days. That's why we pull old stuff out of the trash and get it running again round here.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sears 6.75hp 5 years and going strong. The only problem is water in the gas (first start of spring). new gas and it starts first pull every time.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:01 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Injun Tom View Post
danpaul, that Honda isn't a 2-cycle by any chance? If so, then I can see why you call it a POS. My friend owns one (2-cycle, not Honda), and it is the most finicky thing to start I ever saw. You have to prime it some or it won't start. But if you prime it too much it won't start either. Even when you've been running it, and shut it off to empty the bag. Don't wait too long or you'll be messin' around trying to start it again.
Now it could be, that it is just wore out. But I thought 2-cycles were supposed to be inheretnly long lasting. I don't think his is more than 4 years old, and it's been acting like this for the last two years.
It seems like the 2-cycles require new spark plugs frequently, also.

30 years ago, I worked at a golf course, and all their push mowers were Jacobsons, 2-cycle. Those seemed to start OK, but still I remember changing the spark plug on them on a regular basis.
It's not a 2 cycle, but if you run it and get it hot then shut it off to empty the bag, good luck starting it again. The body is made by MDF or MD something like that. I don't like it either - front wheel drive. It's faster just to push it. My dad had a Snapper that lasted through 2 teenage boys with bad attitudes for at least 10 years. I think it had a Briggs & Stratton on it. Any one know if this brand is still out there?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.snapper.com/ Looks like they're still in business. It says that Sears now handles their mowers too. Brett Farve is their token spokesperson if ya like football players. I guess they'll endorse anything for a free mower and some cash. Ya gotta hate it for the poor sports heros, NOT.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not all Honda engines are their "best". Can't remember which was which but I think the cheaper ones may have been OHC, not sure. Compare the mowers that you find at the box stores with the ones at the Honda dealer, you'll discover the difference.

Bought my MTD made, Cub Cadet labeled, 21" cut mower in Aug '02. Has 6.75 HP OHV Briggs motor. I change oil not more than once per year. Has a primer, always starts first pull. But I bag a pretty large yard, so lots of restarts. Usually restarts on first pull, but when it starts to get balky, I eventually replace the plug. I replace the Air Filter when I do that too. In other words, it gets maintained but not religiously.

I mow 10 months out of the year, almost every weekend. I burn just more than a full tank of gas each week. So it gets pretty heavy use, IMO. My gripe has been the belt drive, not very strong pulling.

They still sell a similar Cub Cadet model (not sure MTD still makes it for them, I assume so) but the motor went to a Kawasaki soon after I got mine and recently I saw it advertised with a Honda motor. I believe the drive mechanism may be improved. Mine is a 6 speed, I now see they say variable speed.

Warranty is 3 years now (better than what I got I think, but never had a warranty issue). The price is still about the same as I paid in '02.

Check here.

http://www.cubcadet.com/webapp/wcs/s...89413_33831_-1

I used to love my old Lawn Boy 2 strokes. But forget those old name brands today, they are just used for name recognition, nothing to do with the old designs.

The Honda mower (not just the motor) has an excellent reputation. But it was more than double the price of the Cub Cadet 6 years ago and didn't come with the bagger so I cheaped out on the Cub Cadet.

If I was looking for a new one, I would pay close attention to the Drive system. I have an estimated 500 hrs of running time on my mower engine. It is the Drive system that has been a disappointment. Moves good on the pavement, but too much belt slip on the lawn (thick zoysia), can't get it moving fast enough for my liking.

I think the Honda might have been a better choice for me, but at the time, price won out and you usually get what you pay for.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently saw my father's Lawn Boy that is still in use. I remember that mower from my childhood, perhaps 6 or 7 years old. I will be 34 next month. He uses it often, and it runs well. Those days are gone. I recently bought a nice Honda mower, and it has worked very well. I have an older MTD riding mower that needs some attention, and an old craftsman mower that needs some TLC as well. I hope to keep them and revive them...will use as "beaters".

9.81 @ 136.39MPH