Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-12-2008, 03:48 PM
Senior Chief

Default Help Needed quick.

Thanks, I am trying to get this done today. I just changed rear axles on my 8.2 inch 10 bolt on my 67 Firebird Convertible. . I have both axles bolted in. I have the gears inside the differential on the end of both axles. I cant get the smaller gears that are held in by the big pin inserted?? Is there a trick to getting these gears and their washers in place??? Please let me know.
Thanks.

2002 RamAir Convertible
Old 10-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinindian6702 View Post
Thanks, I am trying to get this done today. I just changed rear axles on my 8.2 inch 10 bolt on my 67 Firebird Convertible. . I have both axles bolted in. I have the gears inside the differential on the end of both axles. I cant get the smaller gears that are held in by the big pin inserted?? Is there a trick to getting these gears and their washers in place??? Please let me know.
Thanks.
I'll stand to be corrected, but if the 8.2 is anything like the 8.5 and 12 bolt, the side gears and spacers go in before the axles are inserted.

Stewart

1976 TA, nose converted to 1970 style, 406, ported #13 Heads, '70 iron intake without crossovers, Q-Jet - Cliff style, RARE OS manifolds, Pypes duals w/crossflow, UD 230/238 custom HR 4/7 swap cam with solid roller lifters , Hydro-Boost 4-wheel discs, 4 Speed, 3.23 posi.

“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.” - Winston Churchill
Old 10-12-2008, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i put the axles in first then the side gears on the axles
then rotate the axles and side gears as the spider gears mesh with the side gears and slide in to position then slide the big pin through the carrier and through the spider gears
and don't forget to bolt the pin in place

Old 10-13-2008, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Might be too late, but
With the big opening in the carrier pointed towards you, set a spider gear and washer high as you can on the axel gears. Roll both axle gears forward, then hold the bottom spider gear and washer in place and back the axle gears up till the lower spider gear goes in the carrier.
Might take a couple of tries before you get both spider gears lined up for the pin to go in. Just go slow and take your time, don't turn the axle gears so far that the spider gear and washer you have on top fall out.
A screw driver comes in handy keeping the washers where they belong. The washers don't have to be right on the money, till you put the pin in. Thats if the washers don't have a shoulder to hold them in place.

Last edited by "QUICK-SILVER"; 10-13-2008 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Senior Chief

I keep trying. When I roll the axles the gear wants to go in place but it keeps kicking out the beveled washer???

2002 RamAir Convertible
Old 10-15-2008, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinindian6702 View Post
I keep trying. When I roll the axles the gear wants to go in place but it keeps kicking out the beveled washer???
Bumbs into the seat where the washer rides, then once you go to far, it wont go back in.

Stick the washers with some good thick grease. Keep the axle gears pushed apart and the spider gear will drop in deeper.
I have used thin thread to tie the washers to the spider gears, then just get it out the best you can. Anything left behind, doesn't hurt anything.

I feel for you on this one, they can be aggrevating till you get the nack for it. I remember the first time I fought with a set of them.

You may get more slack if you pull the axles out.

Got my fingers crossed, good luck.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks QS, Round 3 on saturday. My next day off. ill let you know.
Mike

2002 RamAir Convertible