Old 10-27-2008, 05:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1978 Grand Prix seats. What are these called?

Here's a link to the ebay auction. 1978 Grand Prix with 28K miles.

I don't think I've seen these seats before. I've seen them with the opening at the head rest but not clsed in and sewed like these. Even the rear seats look different.
Are these common on the Grand Prix?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ponti...1%7C240%3A1318
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Prix seats.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	146712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grand Prix back seats.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	146713  

Old 10-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default Interesting find

They look sorta like the strato buckets except with a different type of head rest on them. Can't put my finger on it, but there seems to be a wide(r) flat section on the back seat than usual. I would guess these particular seats were something that was rarely ordered. The scanty description says leather seats. I've about never seen a 78-80 GP with leather. Maybe that's the difference in the pattern?
That padding around the pull strap on the trim pad looks different also.

I was trying to see if it has the rare litter pocket on the passenger kick panel. Can't quite see.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 AM

The factory leather buckets (Viscount seats) are molded at the top with an opening. A lot of younguns refer to vinyl as leather, that could explain that. They look like the standard buckets don't they?

Old 10-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by srercrcr View Post
A lot of younguns refer to vinyl as leather, that could explain that. They look like the standard buckets don't they?
I thought they looked exactly like the standard (Strato) buckets, with the exception of the headrest extention. It apears that the mentioned headrest are stationary.

The difference in the rear seatback is that the vertical seams don't go all the way over the top of the seat like they do on the standard vinyl/cloth seats. There is a bolster that runs along the top of the seat on this car.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:41 AM

I put a pic of the litter container in my Photos section. I sold my last one a few years ago and haven't run across any since.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:57 AM

I have also added a pic of the Viscount leather seats in red.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Senior Chief

A relative has sent me some scans from a 1978 dealer catalog.
It hapened to include a page with seat colors. It shows an illustration of the same style bucket seats that iowapub posted. Are they called Windsor II ? I am going to try to attach it here. It may be too big, so I may need assistance to re-size it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0003.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	147892  

Old 11-09-2008, 06:23 PM

I have the book that has that sheet. It's called the 1978 Pontiac Product Manual.
We're getting into the proverbial apples and oranges scenario here. Your sheet is for the Grand Am only, but the thread is about Grand Prixs. When the GA had buckets they had cloth and vinyl or all vinyl. No leather buckets were offered.
Where cloth was used it was either plain cloth called Galante or multi-patterned called Windsor II. The vinyl was called Doeskin. Hope that helps clarify.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Senior Chief

I realized that page said Grand Am. I don't have the whole book, so naturaly I get to assume that since Gs and As share so much of their interior components, it might be the same style as the seats in the GP.

Regardless if they be leather, vinyl or cloth, I merely am pointing out the style of the buckets on my thumbnail look extremely similer to the ones on iowapub's photo.
The seatback appears to be broader than the strato bucket seatback, IMO. It looks like there is 'beefier' cushioning in the bolsters. Also, the way the headrest meets the front of the seat, on the Grand Am page, looks exactly like the the one in in the GP.

P.S. I only threw the 'WINDSOR ll' out there because I saw it on the page, and I did not know that it was refering to the fabric pattern.