Old 12-20-2008, 09:22 PM

Default headers

I took my 77 T/A to a muffler shop friday to get a new exhaust system put in because the pipes were old and rusted out. Well I drop it off and the guy calls me about 2 hours later telling me he started but the bolts in the exhaust manifold are about to break off so he asked me if I wanted him to just patch up the exhaust so it will hold for a while and I told him to. I was wondering if i should try to get these bolts out myself and go ahead and get some headers like I was planning on anyway. If so what would be some affordable ones?
Thanks.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Headers on Pontiac V8's are a ROYAL PAIN,especially on T/A's.

The collectors are always bottoming out on speed bumps & replacing BURNT header gaskets is NOT alot of FUN!

You want to buy a set of RAM AIR exhaust manifolds. (GTO D-port style)

Try our HOST here FIRST,(Performance Years)

Price is around $350.00 & worth EVERY penny.

You install them ONCE with steel shim gaskets & that's IT. (NO maintenance issues)

These manifolds are just as effective as headers are on street driven cars & will take you into the LOW 12's if the rest of your car is capable of attaining that speed.

Old 12-20-2008, 11:07 PM

I can vouch for the RA manifolds over headers...had headers on my car, constantly replacing gaskets and always dragging on the ground. They are simply not worth it on a street driven car, I really like my RA manifolds, fit nice sound great with 2.5" exhaust and Flowmasters. I bought mine from the Parts Place, no problems at all with them. Though I did do a little grinding on the inside of them to straighten out some bumps and smooth out some casting flash.

Old 12-21-2008, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who did you take it to? Chip at Crider does all my exhaust systems. He had to remove all the studs out of the driver side manifold on my 77 last week and install new ones. Just had to heat them and take his time but they came out. One was broke off short and every one still came out.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some "dyno facts" regarding Ram Air manifolds versus headers on Pontiac V8's.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=583431

Old 12-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

headers are NOT a pain & they don't always drag or blow gaskets. if they are a poor quality header or installed wrong that may be the case. i have had headers on all my pontiac engine t/a's over the last 20 years & they worked fine, no dragging or gasket issues.

don't buy the cheapo $99 headers as they are most likely crap, the best header for the money is headman's # 28150. they install very well & DO NOT bottom out, the included paper gaskets are going on 3 years & doing fine, the collector design on headmans doesn't use collector gaskets so those can't blow. & replacing a header gaskket with the headers still on the car is actually quite easy.

the poster also stated he wants a decent priced option......ram air manifolds are far from decent priced at $350+/pair. get a set of headmans or hookers for about $175 & enjoy them. don't listen to all the hype about header problems. worst issue is a tight fit for the oil filter, but it comes out fine if you take your time.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Senior Chief

I guess this will depend on the reader's definition of pain. I have Hedman headers on my Firebird and they do drag on the collector flange when going over steep speed bumps or driveways. My car is a little lower than stock, so that may be the reason, and the headers are almost touching the floor pan, so there is not much that can be done about the drag issue. Well, a little creative driving helps, but it is something I tolerate in order to run headers.

78w72, What is the clearance between your collectors and the ground?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i will have to measure the clearance but i have no issues whatsoever with speed bumps & my car is about 1" lower than stock.

you may also want to check your motor mounts, if they are bad the whole engine will sit lower. what part# are your headmans? they make different ones, the 28150 have a balll & socket type collector & has more clearance than the standard type with clamping rings.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Headers actually will help your car to run cooler,as they are more effective at dissipating heat than exhaust manifolds,but the heat finds its way into the interior.

If your A/C is not working,you WILL notice the temp. difference inside your car on a summer day.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:13 AM

wow thanks for all the input. To answer your question Joe, I went to Mike's at inn on the square. I still dont know exactly what i'm going to do here but either way im going to pull the exhaust manifolds off probably on christmas day so I'll see where it goes from there.
Thanks.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have fun and keep plenty of band aids for the busted knuckles on hand. I STRONGLY recommend heating the bolts with a torch before trying to wrench them out. A busted manifold bolt in the head is a WAY bigger problem than one in the manifold collector.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 2" Hookers didn't hit badly even when autocrossing a lowered car with 23" tall tires!

After putting on my first set of RARE manifolds on my 81 they are NO easier than headers to get to all the bolts. A couple had to be put in the manifold before it was dropped down(and taped so they don't fall out) as they are too long to clear the upper A arm. The 2.5" openings also did not seal great on the down pipes.

So they are not a cure all.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs