Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 PM

Default Engine Rebuild

Well I'm graduating on January 15th.. Go me lol. Instead of asking for a car or something I asked to get my 400 rebuilt in my 77 T/A. I'd like to know what all this is gonna do for me and what's the most power I could get out of it while it's out of the car (getting a mild cam put in it too). I don't really know what my limit is but I'm hoping I'll have some extra cash for some kinda goodies. Any feedback or info will be greatly appreciated!

Brady.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:00 PM

TTT

Old 01-08-2009, 05:43 PM

if you wanna go high-performance, aluminum heads will prob run around $2200 (?) give or take and that's without having em ported & polished, etc. Then you got your block that you prob wanna stroke or something, the stroker itself for the internals pistons,crank,rods,etc are prob another $2000 give or take. Then you got all the other miscellaneous stuff then you got your transmission, rear end gearing. It's like if you want to go all out, something else has to be upgraded.

If it were me I would start with the intake & carb IF I was on a budget which I am now & that is EXACTLY what I'm doing lol good luck

Old 01-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tell us a little about your car first. Is it an an auto or 4-speed? What is the rear axle ratio? Is the engine currently all stock? What is the intended use of your car? Give us any information that you can, that may help us guide you in the right direction.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:14 PM

Automatic, 3.23 posi i believe, I want it to be sort of a daily driver.. but I still want to be able to show out in it if that makes any sense haha. The engine is all stock and it really feels like it needs some more power. I'm planning on driving this until I can afford a 4th gen trans am to drive everyday. Still want this to be an option though

Old 01-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

have you got Jim Hand"s book?it has a ton of info that will help guide you.3.23's are a great street gear,not too big or too small.

on the pass side behind the head will be a raised number on the block,it will end in 557 or 488,can you tell us what it is?what heads are on the car?do you know where to look for the size code on the head?4 or 8?

you don't have to spend a ton,or go crazy,a 400 with 6X number 4 heads,a small clean up of the ports,a cam to put your power in the right driving range(where max torque is in your cruising range),a good coverter to lock everything up and you should be fine.

post your question in the street section and you will get more info.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Putting a new intake and a new carb on it is a complete waste of money. You can modify the factory carb and re-curve the distributor to get a little more out, but in reality you will need to do a cam change or compression bump to truly make it more powerful.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle07 View Post
Automatic, 3.23 posi
2.41 I'm pretty sure now actually... dunno why I was thinking 3.23

Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen the car before. It still has the factory 6.6 litre 400 with big chamber 6Xs. I think the more important question is, what is your budget? The best advice I would give is since its a #s matching car I would leave it that way. I love the Summit 2802 cam. Great power and awesome sound. The factory carb is great on that motor with that cam. I would personally get a rebuild of the stock components, heads, crank etc... and do a .030 or maybe an .060 overbore. Install a good set of headers and a nice 2.5" dual setup. If the car has that rear I would look for a better ratio. At the absolute minimum run a 3.08. A 3.23 would be great but if you find one, you are going to pay good $ for it. I am supposed to get a '78 parts car soon that I was told has a 3.23 in it.

As far as the rebuild, take it to Carolina Machine in Johnston. They do all my machine work and I assemble everything here but they will do your complete build if want them to. I would order the cam and supply it to them. Let me know if you have any questions man, I'm right up the street from you.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:46 AM

My budget right now is about $1500. For about $1100 I can get the engine rebuild and the heads redone at Greenwood auto parts. And how much are you talking bout for a 3.23 rear? lol either way I wanna keep it stock mostly with the carb and all. What will and overbore do for me? (still kinda new at engine stuff). Do you know how much they will charge in Johnston? Aorry if I'm leaving anything out :P
Brady