Old 01-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Senior Chief

Default Steering Box box ?

Ok, for a 72 or 73 Firebird, if you were lucky enough to get the fast ratio box, it would be 2.5 turns lock to lock right? What about the other box? How many turns would that be lock to lock? For both questions I am talking about boxes with power steering.

The reason I ask is because I was doing the normal oil and lube on my 72 Firebird and decided to actually check it, and it was 2.75 turns lock to lock. The front wheels were off the car at the time, and motor off.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 PM

The early were variable, later were non variable. Meaning the non's had more road feel. You would still benefit from a later box like on a '76 T/A. Or even better a WS6 box on the laters. I think I got that right.

Old 01-21-2009, 05:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As I understand it, 1970 T/A's and Formula 400's (with power steering) were the ONLY second gen birds to come with a 2 1/2 turn box. (and i'd say that it's my favorite)

Late 70's (78-81) WS6 boxes (3 turns) are easier to drive with and almost as much fun as the 70 2 1/2 turn units.

As I recall the WS6 boxes (of that era) were slightly higher effort with faster return to
center.
The earlier (2 1/2 turn) boxes feel FASTER,but are pretty "twitchy" at Interstate (70mph) speeds. (I think that's why they dropped them for 1971)

ALL 1970 - 81 Trans am & Firebird Power steering boxes were considered variable ratio.

In ANY year Firebird (70-81) the T/A box was always a tad quicker than the other models & the late 70's WS6 cars were the easiest to drive fastest.