Old 05-08-2009, 08:10 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Punter97
Default One High Beam Won't come on when mounted

My 67 GTO Conv is now on the road and I noticed that my Passenger side high beam will not come on (driver's side works). I figured that the headlight was burned out so I ordered a new one to replace it.
Last night I went out to the car and unplugged the socket from the back of the Passenger high beam and plugged it into the new high beam and just let it sit in the engine compartment. I then turned the lights on, engaged the high beam switch and the new high beam headlight came on! Victory...or so I thought...
I then removed the old headlight and put the new one in. Once the new one was installed, I turned the lights back on with high beams and the new passenger light wouldn't turn on.....Hmmm....

I then unplugged the wiring from the new High beam and plugged it into the old high beam, turned on the lights (with high beam) and the old one came on....My next thought is that there is a bad ground but I checked my wiring diagram and all the grounds appear to be properly installed...
Anybody have any thoughts?

I also ordered a new Front lamp harness that is not yet installed..I figured that I have replaced all other harnesses in the car so I "might as well"..Many of my electrical issues in the car have been mysteriously fixed with new wiring harnesses!!

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bad wiring connection. The lamp itself has no grounds, etc. It'll light if the juice gets to it and if the other wire is grounded.

George

Old 05-08-2009, 11:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to Punter97

George, Thanks! I will check the ground or just ground it myself tonight. A few years ago you helped me with my "no power to anything in the car" problem and based upon your input, I was able to get everything going....But I did leave a rat's nest of spliced wires in the engine compartment once done. I just replaced the entire engine wiring harness myself the other day. Everything works perfectly and many of the mini-electrical mysteries were solved by the new engine harness....
I guess I should go ahead and install the new forward lamp harness as well since I have it on hand.
Thanks again!
All the Best, Joe

Old 05-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Punter, the prongs could be shorter than the old bulb. Check the sizes of them.

I had trouble with new headlights I bought.... they wouldn't work either.

Take a look in this thread and look at the compasison photo I put up. You can see the difference from the T3s to the new headlights.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=598000

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.