67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:51 PM

Default What's the Deal?

I bought a pair of repro chrome weather strip channels along with the rubber weather stripping for my quarter windows on my 68 bird to replace my old pitted ones. I'm having a problem installing the rubber weather strip part into the channels.
They both seem too tight and the rubber weather strip hangs up every time I try to slide it through the channel. I used a little WD-40, but it didn't help. I tried installing the rubber weather strip on my old weather strip channel and it slides in fine.
The old weather strip channels look deeper than the repros, so it would seem to be a problem with the channels??? I called the vendor where I purchased them and they told me no one has ever complained about having problems with the repro channels. Has anyone else experienced this with the repro stuff? Thanks for any information regarding this.

Life is just one big burnout!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:35 PM
Senior Chief

They can be a pain. Try lots of soapy water for lube. Get all the wd cleaned off.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i used dawn liquid soap with success. once it gets moving, don't stop til it's all the way in!

Old 05-11-2009, 01:05 PM

Okay, I'll give it a try. Thanks

Life is just one big burnout!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:47 PM

Default Moldings

Try putting the molding in the freezer for about an hour, then install with grease or soap to get in on. It worked for me.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope they changed the rubber makeup on these strips. Mine were repops about 5 years old and came apart at the chrome edge. They both just dry rotted on the car!