Old 05-22-2009, 10:19 AM

Default Interior - Sail Panels

Hi, Just bought a '69 GTO and I'm phyced about getting her fixed up.

The interior is in pretty good condition. The headliner is original and only has a few small imperfections so I'm going to keep it. However, the sail panels or ear muffs, as I've seen them referred to, are pretty bad.

Noticed some resellers sell these complete in your color and fabric of choice. Was wondering if anyone has purcased a set?

Also, would like to know the steps to replace these panels? and how hard the job is..should I have a pro do it?

I researched this site to try and find answers, but did not see anything. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Dan

Old 05-22-2009, 10:32 AM

If you think you might do more in the future it would be a good learning exp.For me it was the hardest part of the installment of the headliner getting a good clean look, don't get me wrong I am sure you could do it..If you do not plan on doing it again and do not need the experience of it. I would get a shop to do it, it shouldn't be much $ for that and and would be a good clean looking install.
I had the ones from AMES,PUI they were pretty good.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 PM

I didn't want to overstate not doing it. Everything comes together at the sail panel, you are trying to pull the wrinkle from the headliner,put the trim on both sides of the sail panel and the sail panel itself. but if you are keeping the headliner you already have installed it will not be as bad.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 PM

ok, thx for your input.

Yes, just looking to find out 'how' to remove the old sail panel? Are there screws to undue, molding to remove? rear seat has to be removed? Tools to use?

That sort of thing...and maybe a 1 through 10 steps...

Again..thx.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:12 PM

Yes, it would be better to:
1-remove back seat
2-remove door handle and rear door panel.I you have a pick set ,one with a hook you can reach behind the handle and pull the keeper and the handle slides off.
3-pull the rear window trim and 1/4 window trim, it just pulls loose.
4-remove sail panel.
When you put it back together; you can use a bondo spreader or something like that to push the fabric back in the channel that the trim goes in ( glue is optional).Once you take it loose what i am saying will probably be easier to understand, I am not the best at wording but hope this helps

Old 05-22-2009, 11:12 PM

Thanks..appreciate the instructions.