Old 06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Senior Chief

Default A/C Line Filter

Where is the location of the A/C line filter on a 98 Grand Prix GTP?

Old 06-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Chief

Default a/c filter

If your refering to the expansion(orfice) tube it is located below the air filter box. Remove the air filter box and the electronic brake and traction control module. You will see the dimples in the line. The manual suggests heating the line with a hair dryer or heat gun about a 1/4 inch from the dimples and with a needle nose plies slightly twist/turn and use a push-pull action to loosen from pipe.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:06 PM
Senior Chief

Wow! Thanks for the quick responce

Old 06-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Senior Chief

ok, we tryed that, but we could not find the high end line that had dimples...would it have been the line directly under the electronic brake module?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Senior Chief

Default Orfice tube

Your orfice tube will be at a fitting location. Loosen the fittings and it should be at the end. It will be the low side or smaller A/C line. Im assuming you have no freon in the system. If so put a rag around the fitting as you are able to loosen with your fingers. Are you replacing another component of the system? Most likley it will be below the EBTCM. I went by the manual and it states to remove the EBTCM. Also by the picture in the manual it may be between the accumulator and frame rail. Its been awhile since Ive done one. I left the dealership 3 1/2 years ago and now work on railroad equipment.
I just went out and looked at my 2000 chevy pick up and it has very small dimples were the orfice tube would be but again the line may also get a slight bit smaller.
Let me know how you make out. I hope I didnt confuse you.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Senior Chief

Actually we got it on the 2nd try underneith the hood....there weren't any good depictions of where to find it our paperwork, but your description did help us alot, and for furutre reference to anyone who has to do this themselves: its the black filter thing with the gold fitting on the high line...but we got it and it was very easy to finish the A/C job. Thanks for your help!