Old 07-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Senior Chief

Default Glove box/console lights

Bought some repro light/switch button gizmos for my glove box and my console, they are the kind with the tiny bulb and the orange wire lead that plugs in next to the bulb.

My problem is the bulbs don't fit down in there very good at all, in fact they just slip right out, after you push and twist, the bulb flops around in there and falls out of the one in my console, has anyone else experienced this? Is there a remedy? I don't care what i have to do, i just want it to function properly.
Jim

Old 07-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Can't do anything but guess on this one, so going to need some help narrowing things down. Are these repro of factory lights or a universal fit-um-all type gadget? Just looking, do you think the sockets are made wrong or got the wrong bulbs for the sockets?

It would be nice if we could see what you're working with. I've probably got some factory buttons and light sockets from other years and models of Pontiacs but need some kind of idea how much room you've got to work with.

Lets find some way to get this thing lit up.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Senior Chief

They're the sockets that ames sells, they sell the same part for the glove box and the console, i can't say what original looked like since i didn't have either.
The socket is plastic with a pot metal shiny escutcheon on one end with the push button part, the other end of the plastic tube socket has a hole for a bulb and just to the side of that hole, a slot for the power wire to plug into, it looks like it's designed for the power wire to come into direct contact with the side of the bulb, problem is, when you peer down into the hole for the bulb, there's nothing for the bulb to grab onto, the tiny bulb lugs have no specific slot to go down and turn into.
So basically it flops around in the socket and falls out.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a defective part to me. Like it's missing a brass/metal sleeve that the bulb would fit in.
Try calling ames and see if they'll look at one.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default looses as a goose...

If there like the one I show below there are no sleeves within the sockets.
OEM & repos were never that great.
I ended up securing the bulb(s) with a spot of hot glue.
Mine would disconnect with every road bump.
The glue is holding them well and can be easily removed if needed.
You might also try adding some solder to the contact on the bulb;
this will make a tighter fit as well.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 10-17-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:20 AM
Senior Chief

I’ve put together a lot of consoles and I haven’t had any problem with the OEM or reproduction glove box light assemblies. I’ve attached four pictures to show what I’ll explain:

1) the socket, the lead wire that is a combination positive contact and one-half of the bulb holder, and the correct bulb.
2) The lead wire partially inserted into the socket to show correct direction of the contact (the open side of the “v” groove MUST go the side of the socket (housing) with the open slot!).
3) The side of the socket with an open slot that the contact “clips” or locks into.
4) The completed socket assembly.

First of all, if the socket with the bulb will not go through the opening, then you have the wrong bulb. The OEM bulb number is #53 but is now sold under #1445. I’ve seen a lot of #57 or #1895 bulbs used here but even though the base of the bulb is the same, the #57 is a larger diameter glass and will not ever fit through the opening. Make sure you are using a #53 or #1445 bulb in the socket.

There are sleeves that hold the bulb in place. One half of the sleeve is molded in the plastic socket. The other one-half of the sleeve is the open square end of the v groove on the contact at the end of the lead wire. Once assembled, those two form the bulb installation with the normal push in and turn method.

As far as the bulb and/or contact falling out, that is because the contact is not replaced correctly. The contact is the v-shaped end on the lead wire and is designed to be held in place by tension. If you look on the side of the socket, there is an open slot (picture #3). The open side of the v contact slides into that and then clips or locks in place. The problem is that when the contact is removed, it compresses the v just enough that there is not enough tension for it to lock back in place. Take a small to medium flat screwdriver and carefully and gently open up or widen the gap in the v contact about 1/32". When you slide the contact in the socket it should lock in place. If it doesn’t, then slide the contact back out and open the v contact a bit more – do it gently! It should then lock into place. Once the contact is properly seated in the socket, the bulb should slide in, turn, and and lock in place and not fall out. If the bulb does come back out, either the plastic side of the socket wall bulb groove is bad or the reassembly is still wrong. This info should solve your problem.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of CONSOLE GLOVE BOX LIGHT ASSEMBLY  #001.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	173822   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of CONSOLE GLOVE BOX LIGHT ASSEMBLY  #002.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	173823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of CONSOLE GLOVE BOX LIGHT ASSEMBLY  #003.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	173824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of CONSOLE GLOVE BOX LIGHT ASSEMBLY  #004.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	173826  

Last edited by xgoater; 07-05-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Excellent post, ty.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Senior Chief

Not to hyjack, but I have the exact same problem with the one I got from Ames for my 62 GP. I will go thru the one I have per the post (excellent explanation) and see how it goes. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-07-2009, 11:32 PM
Senior Chief

Got the right bulb, got the wire inserted properly and you can pull the bulb right out of the socket after pushing it in, turning it and seeing the bulb lug fit into the window on the side of the socket, it's like the bulb is too small or the lugs don't stick out far enough to grab, tried different bulb, same thing.

Maybe the socket thing is slightly too large or something, i'll keep messing with it, thank goodness it's only a console box light.