Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to oxfordsteve
Default 69 front lamp harness

I am finishing up a frame off on one of my 69 GTOs, and am having some trouble with the front parking lamps/turn signals. I bought a new intermediate and rear lamp harness from PY, used my best set of bare ground wires in the rear, put a new printed circuit on my rally gauges, and put new bulbs in every socket. I had a really good dash harness that I reused. Now in trying to figure out my issue: My original GTO front lamp harness was cut and sockets were damaged and I had a perfect appearing one from a 69 Lemans so I used it. Everything seemed to plug up right. In troubleshooting my electrical issue, I found that there are four wires going to the parking lamp socket on the old GTO harness and only 3 on the Lemans harness. Is this why I can't seem to get a good ground despite having the ground wires attached to the core support? When I touch a big screwdriver to the back of the parking lamp housing and the core support it lights up. Am I going to need to change the harness to fix the problem?

Thanks in advance!
Steve

Old 07-10-2009, 05:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordsteve View Post
In troubleshooting my electrical issue, I found that there are four wires going to the parking lamp socket on the old GTO harness and only 3 on the Lemans harness. Is this why I can't seem to get a good ground despite having the ground wires attached to the core support? Am I going to need to change the harness to fix the problem?
I'm not sure what you're saying about sockets and number of wires. 3 wires per socket; turn, park, and ground is all it takes for one side. Brown for parking lights, black ground, and turn wire (blue right & black with blue stripe left).

Tell us what color wires you've got going to each socket and how their hooked up.

Wiring diagram shows/looks like there's two different ways for side markers to be wired. Ones way has a brown wire from the firewall and the other has brown side marker power splicing off front park brown wire. Either way power is coming from the same terminal at the firewall. So either one should work all the same.

Last edited by "QUICK-SILVER"; 07-10-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to oxfordsteve

I'm not at the car right now so I can't check wire colors, but the two different wiring schematics you mentioned would explain why one harness has 4 wires going to the park socket as one wire would actually be leaving it to provide power to the side marker. That would mean that the wiring harness I have installed should still function properly. The ground wires to the core support may not be making a good connection through the new paint so I will check on that this evening. Also the park light housings were very rusty so I had them sandblasted and painted natural metal, so I know there is no bare metal on the housing touching the valence. The car is completely together and I did not find the problem until I put the dash back in.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Steve