Old 07-12-2009, 10:47 PM

Default 68 gto dash lights dont work

68 gto dash lights don't work. all lights work except for the speedo and tach light they were always dim but we had it at the bodyshop for some minor work and when we got it back the dash lights weren't working, horn was going crazy. turn signal was sparking, and to top it of they claim they lost our keys so they had a lock smith come out to made a new set of keys. well the horn is fixed and turning signal . it was a lose small bolt than was grounding out. now what would cause us to loose dash lights. can some show me were the ground would be so i can check it before i have to check the bulbs. thank you

Old 07-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check the short fuse in the fusebox for power with headlight switch on. It's probably 4 amp and could have gotten blown easily during the chaos.

The ground wire/s are in the same plug with all the wires to the printed circuit on the back of the guage cluster. It'll run to a common ground under the dash that's not normally a problem.

Twisting the headlight knob/rheostat for bright dim of the dash lights can be checked while you're testing the small dash light fuse. Test light should bright dim same as dash light function if it is working right.

Let us now what's going on at the little fuse in the fusebox and post back.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:42 AM

i tested the little fuse with a voltage tester the voltage light come on only when i turn the headlights on so what your saying is turn the knob and the volage light should get brignter ? if not replace the fuse .

Old 07-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The dash light fuse is only hot when the lights are on. Power comes out of the headlight switch to the little fuse before going to the dash lights. Turning the headlight knob should make your test light bright dim (at the fuse) same as dash lights if the headlight switch rheostat is good.
Sounds like it's OK if you're getting power at the fuse with the headlights on. If both ends of the fuse show power it's time to start checking bulbs.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:09 AM

only one side of the fuse shows power

Old 07-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Replace the fuse.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:48 PM

Default replace fuse

checked the old fuse it was a 20amp replaced with a 6.5 amp same thing only the right side of the fuse had power still no dash lights so that short fuse that says lamps is the dash fuse at the bottom, of the fuse box. maybe be the left side i s bad do i try and clean it out or some thing .

Old 07-13-2009, 05:22 PM

something is wrong with the left side of the fuse holder i checked with the fuse out . rigfht side lights up left side nothing .

Old 07-13-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb707 View Post
something is wrong with the left side of the fuse holder i checked with the fuse out . rigfht side lights up left side nothing .
fuses 101 the fuse connect the circit lol. stated at a 6.3 went to 20 amp and there still blowing were no way that would take a 30 amp must be a short somewere.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
fuses 101 the fuse connect the circit lol. stated at a 6.3 went to 20 amp and there still blowing were no way that would take a 30 amp must be a short somewere.
thanks for all your help i see it takes a 4 amp i was fooled because i pulled out 20 amp question i have if it calls for a 4 amp will blow all the others the 6.5 ,10 .15. and 20 amp or is there something else, going on i pulled the bulbs there good.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:18 PM

its fixed loose wire thank you

Old 07-14-2009, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
its fixed loose wire thank you
Glad you found the problem and got it fixed.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the lose wire? Did it come lose on its own or from where the other people had been messing with it. Just wondering in case a problem like it shows up again.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
Glad you found the problem and got it fixed.
If you don't mind me asking, where did you find the lose wire? Did it come lose on its own or from where the other people had been messing with it. Just wondering in case a problem like it shows up again.
well iam really not sure i found a black gray wire hung up that went to the instement panel i taped it off i also found a loose plug. and moved some speaker wire around .