Old 07-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 79 T/A ac wiring

I'm trying to rewire the engine compartment on my 79 Trans Am. There are a few different harnesses for the A/C. One is for a throttle stop and one for no stop. My carb dosen't have a TS, but I don't know if it had one originally. Is there a way to tell? How does the A/C harness connect to the fuse box? There is a birds nest down there. Do I have to take out the heater plenum and the console? I want to change the tach harness also any ideas on thet one? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

AC harness should come through the firewall close to the passenger side valve cover. AC clutch, pressure switch, and wires to fan resistor and high speed relay. High speed blower power comes from the alternator. Controls inside shouldn't have but one or two wires coming from the fuse box. Pretty sure idle up is the same as AC clutch.
Don't know what it'll take to swap it out access wise behind the heater box.

Has yours got to be totally replaced or can you do some splicing?

Tach (- coil) wire goes through the firewall through a rubber gromet above the bulkhead connector. So it shouldn't be any problem.

I've got a 79 that's coming apart, no front end or engine, so I can look right at most of this.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a small fire a while back while changing a carb. But iI think I can do some splicing if can find the correct connector. Maybe at Radio Shack or other electrical supply. I just purchased a wiring schematic for the car and maybe I'll look at splicing it. There are two harnesses for A/C. One costs about $40 the other $57. I'm confused about why there are two. A/C compressor jumper to blower and A/C blower switch extension harness.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Two different harnesses

Surely it was just because of the different engine set-ups. Compressors and alternators being on opposite sides of the engine and such.
The 79 Pontiac powered AC harness was about as simple as it gets. The Olds harness may have been the same. No way the cheby models would've been the same. If they've got all F bodies rolled together on this and not just TA's, the 231 buirck pedal cars would be on the list too.

So anyhow, what connectors do you need? If this is an engine swap car it may take some splicing to make whatever you come up with fit, new harness or not.

Last edited by "QUICK-SILVER"; 07-28-2009 at 12:32 PM. Reason: after thought