Old 09-05-2009, 10:51 PM

i had the exact same problem and it was my radiator..went with a 2 row out of summit catalog..griffin i think..and worked like a charm..that was after trying thermostats and a flow cooler water pump making sure fan is half in and half out of shroud etc etc..the 2 one inch row aluminum radiator works great on 90 degree days at idle or on highway

Old 09-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via MSN to 1967Tempest

I think that the hieght of the radiator means something as well. Meaning if the cap is lower than the upper rad hose. My car always ran at a solid 170* no matter what temp. I added a bigger fan for the front, and now it creeps up in traffic. The only change is that the radiator is further down. The rubber in the supports was removed. When I get more time I will try it. I haslo have the griffin Rad.

The Burb Files
Old 09-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 T/A View Post
I like that weatherstripping. Where did you buy that? Home Depot?
eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1970-...Q5fAccessories

Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Problem solved, I found a guy less than 2 miles form my house who works on old and muscle cars only. He does it more for the enjoyment than the money. After about an hours work, adjusting timing, vacumm and a few minor things the car runs around 175-180 in town and around 195-205 on the highway 75mph+ with 3700 rpm. That is with a Mr Gasket 180 thermostat and a Ford Taurus fan on high with temp sensor in the head.
BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the car's performance has increased dramaticly, have problems keeping the tires on the road. Will be putting it on the dyno soon to see the difference between when the motor was new and now. Since then I threw out the Edelbrock intake and carb, replaced it with the intake (slightly cleaned up with a Dremmel tool) from my original 350 and had Cliff build a Qjet.

Original 1977 Firebird / Welded tube frame connectors
TH350 with shift kit / 400 bored/stroked to 455 by PDude
OCD=Waxing and polishing your oil filter
SICK=wetsanding your exhaust pipe