Old 09-15-2009, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '69 - '72 door handle question

We're doing some customizing on my '69 GTO and I'm considering swapping in some 1st gen Grand Prix door handles. I see that they are available as a repro part. Any downside to using these other than messing with the originallity of the goat?

Are they awkward to use?

'69 GTO Ragtop, 455, RA, KRE SD Perf ported heads and "old Faithful" cam, Sean Murphy Q-Jet, Tremec 5spd, Moser Trutrac 3:73, Hotchkiss, Speedtech, Wilwood
'64 Lemans Convertible, Tremec TKO600
Old 09-15-2009, 03:52 PM

Interior or exterior?

Old 09-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Pypes Staff - Tech

I'm assuming you are talking about the exterior handles, right..? No they are not awkward, BUT... you have to change the inside latch mechanism (the part that strikes the door jamb stricker. When locking the GTO's door, you have to hold the push button to make sure it stays locked and with the GP, all you have to do is close it. If you want to customize it, you'll need the mechanism, which I have.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder View Post
We're doing some customizing on my '69 GTO and I'm considering swapping in some 1st gen Grand Prix door handles. I see that they are available as a repro part. Any downside to using these other than messing with the originallity of the goat?

Are they awkward to use?

Old 09-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Exterior

Yep, it's the exterior. I'll send you a PM about that latching mechanism.

'69 GTO Ragtop, 455, RA, KRE SD Perf ported heads and "old Faithful" cam, Sean Murphy Q-Jet, Tremec 5spd, Moser Trutrac 3:73, Hotchkiss, Speedtech, Wilwood
Old 09-16-2009, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ordered the handles and gaskets from Ames. They do not reproduce the "retaining clip". Can this part be fabricated or does someone have a pair they are willing to part with?

Old 09-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just saw that PY has a new Grand Prix catalog coming out, in hindsight I would of tried to get them from our sponsor.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:35 PM

They've sold them or yrs.

Check the Dorman help line at a good local parts store for the clip or one that will work.

Mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-17-2009, 05:55 PM
Senior Chief

I think he's taliking about the metal bracket inside the door that the handle gets bolted to, don't think anybody repops them. I've seen complete door sections cut out with the handles and hardware sell on ebay at times, interesting note about the latches, sounds like that came from experience.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Pypes Staff - Tech

Default door metal bracket

No one re-pops them, you gotta find originals...

I know the 69-72 GP's very well. I have both a 69 GTO & a 69 GP.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPCONV View Post
I think he's talking about the metal bracket inside the door that the handle gets bolted to, don't think anybody repops them. I've seen complete door sections cut out with the handles and hardware sell on ebay at times, interesting note about the latches, sounds like that came from experience.