Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Senior Chief

Default Advice on water softner for well water. Also have septic system.

Does anyone that has a septic system with drain field use a water softner? I've heard that the back flushing/regeneration process uses a lot of water and can over burden the drain field.

Has anyone heard of the saltless system and does it work like they say it does?

http://www.waterfilter-usa.com/natur...oms-p-361.html

Thanks for any help

Old 09-18-2009, 02:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We have an Ecowater water softening system and a sandmound septic system. We've had the water softener for about 3 years now and no problems with the septic system. OUr septic tanks were just pumped out last year and I was told everything looked ok. I have the same concerns that you did at one time, but I reviewed a lot of info on the internet and that eased my fears a bit.

db

Old 09-18-2009, 06:16 PM

I have been in my house for 20 years and have had a softner that uses salt for the last 18 years with no problems. when they installed the unit they set it up to cycle every 2 days, I changed it to every 3 days with no noticable difference in the softness of the water. family of 4 with 2 girls, lots of water used

Old 09-18-2009, 08:16 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys. I may just start looking at a conventional type softener.

Anyone have any experience with the nano technology, saltless system?
It would be nice to not have to carry salt. And if it works, would be a nice selling point.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:18 PM

We have a septic system with drain field and have a salt based water softner. The house has been around for about 14 years without any problems with the system. The person who inspected the house when we bought it did not like the idea of the "brine" going back into the septic system because he thought it might interfere with the organisms which break down the waste, but the septic guy didn't notice any extrordinary problems (extra water, waste not broken down, etc) when they pumped it a couple of years ago.
Mchael

Old 09-20-2009, 02:49 AM
Suspended

have had 2 houses with a brine flush system , one was a direct dump to the septic tank and the other to a french Basin , no problems with either but I liked the basin one better in case the valving sticks and keeps backflushing in to the tank and overflowing it .

Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have had a WaterBoss for 11 years now and have inground septic system. I had it pumped out awhile ago and everything was in check. The WaterBoss is a compact unit roughly 14"x16"x24".

Old 09-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The brine water back flush systems should not be drained into your septic. They will kill the enzymes which are beneficial to your system - but then again so will bleach in your laundry. If you can, have the flush line run into your rain leader drain, or some other to-grade drain system.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 PM
Senior Chief

I agree with boss. If you ever had a salt water fish tank and see what lines the top of the tank it would make you think twice before discharging salt into leach fields.Just think how many bags of salt you buy over the course of a year. My fear would be going on vacation alot and the field would drain, dry out and scale would build up. The salt has to go somewhere doesn't it ?

Last edited by blue goats; 09-22-2009 at 07:06 PM.