Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Help please!! Rear axle shafts

Hello all. I ordered a set of Evolution series rear axles for my 77 TA from Superior gear in California. Part number EV10-2. They are listed as a 28 spline, 30 1/8 inch long axle that fit 70's Camaros ( same axle as our Firebirds ). The listing even uses the original GM part # 1255802 as a reference. Axles arrived a few days ago and I went to installed them tonight. They are too long by 3/8 of an inch. I measure them to be 30 1/2 inches from the outside of the flange to the very end of the axle. Granted, the flange is a little thicker on the new axle, bit it is still a full 1/4 inch too long aside from that. Can anyone make a recommendation? Has anyone ever run into this before. Would someone be willing to measure the length of their stock axle for me to compare? 1977 Trans Am, factory 10 bolt. Hope someone can/will help.
Chris