The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-22-2009, 11:49 PM

Default Front Seat Shoulder Straps in 1966 Pontiacs

Okay you Pontiac motorheads, here's a Christmas challenge item for you.

I recently obtained a 1966 Pontiac Craftsman Service Manual containing updates that were mailed periodically to the dealers covering production changes as well as various mechanical fixes and corrections during the 1966 model year.

In there is an update that states beginning February 1, 1966 and on, all car bodies were being built with anchorage provisions for the installation of shoulder straps. It goes on to say that as of March 1, 1966 front seat shoulder straps were going to be made available as both factory and dealer installed options. Additionally, it covers how you could identify vehicles built with these anchorages by finding a 3/16" hole punched just to the left of the words "Body by Fisher" at the bottom of the data plate. The next page shows a diagram of the correct way for passengers to connect and wear these shoulder straps.

My question to the masses is how many of you have ever seen a 1966 Pontiac with original shoulder straps or even knew they were an option? I certainly never knew this. My 1966 Bonneville was built in September of 1965 so there no hole in the data plate. Has anyone seen this on the later builds?

Learning something new everyday..............

Brad Kline

Old 12-23-2009, 05:39 AM

I have a 66 GTO. Hole in the data plate. Recently took out the headliner. The anchor provisions are there. No straps however.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is another topic aboard discussing this option.
Several members have them.
Cheers.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not far from installing my new interior. However, my 66 Le Mans did not come with the anchor points. But, this is one upgrade I would really like to do. Has anyone made them work well in cars not optioned for them? Thanks friends.... Mike