THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:04 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Earlier in one of the posts was a decal featuring the Hurst VW shifter. Here is the actual prototype of a display that Hurst was considering to possibly make available to its dealers. (If they did make this display, I never saw a finished one). This one has a sticker on the back stating this is an original design etc....Not sure how they were going to make the shifter move left to rite it is set up to do so but nothing indicates what the power source would be. Probably a small battery and a switch.

The VW shifter does not appear in the 1968-69 catalog so it probably came out sometime late 1969 or soon thereafter based on the styling of the VW bug.

It measures about 15 inches high by 12 inches wide at the base. All hand done on hard cardboard.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
Fayetteville, NC
Do It Right or Don't Do It All
Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah I remember back when I was in high school a few decades ago it was almost a monthly occurrence of someones old Crager SS rims coming apart at high speed.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

DENNIS, any of the LINDA VAUGHN/HURST items hard to find/collectible?

Ive had pleasure of meeting her two or three times over the years and one such meeting she signed the HURST OLDS featuring her by Johnny Lighting, a die cast car. I have some posters and other stuff featuring her and HURST items she has signed as well.
I know they not be very valuable, and not why I asked her to sign, but more special to me to hold in "collection". She was such a big part of that era of performance/racing and marketing. Still popular.

Jeff

Old 12-29-2009, 09:05 AM

kirban 2 cents worth

Pictured here are 3 super rare original Hurst items. Least rarest would be the Hurst wheel can which is how Hurst packaged the Hurst wheels originally before switching to a hexagon shaped cardboard box. Can held 2 wheels. By least rare meaning you see these from time to time on ebay and I am told someone has reproduced them.

The rarest 2 items is the black T handle. Has the H embossed on it which may not show up in the photo. This T handle is about 3 feet tall as it stands on end in the photo.

Equally rare is the Miss Golden Shifter embroidered banner Linda Vaughn wore in many of her appearances for Hurst during its heyday.

The T handle I have never seen it used in photos unlike the huge white ball knob that show sup in photos. Perhaps after this was made it was
too late for that type of promotion. I have no idea. I bought it from a Hurst employee well over 15-18 years ago.

With a regular size T handle fetching several hundred dollars on ebay this one would be the Holy Grail!

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-29-2009, 04:52 PM

I love all things Hurst also. In need of some cash a few years ago, I sold my copy of "Hurst Heritage". I really loved that book because it had all the makes of cars he touched. This book was printed in 1984? I think. I think all of them were falling apart at the binding because of bad glue? Mine was anyway. Sold it on Ebay to a guy in Mexico! Wish I had it back...... My first car was going to be a 1974 Hurst Olds..... The engine was grenaded (literally) W30 455, so it needed a new engine. Dad didn't want me to get it. In 1983 I lived near an Olds dealership and they had a 1983 H/O. I used to look at that car and drool........... It made a memory that will last forever in my mind. Very, very cool stuff here. Keep it coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1977 Pontiac Can Am, firethorn interior- buckets/console,tilt,tach and a/c, posi and rally II's. I'm the 4th owner, and happy it's mine! I tried to buy my first one in 1986, 20 years later I finally got one! Then Only after a few fun years, needed to sell it.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:28 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

First photo shows a good bit of my personal colleciton of various key chains necklaces etc. The Jack Duffy name tag was my wife's boss. (He recently passed away).

You can see the heavy influence of black and gold colors. Also note the visitors pass name tag. Lots of history here.

The second photo although not Hurst related, in the Pontiac GTO world is quite rare as this is the Max Factor gift pack. Max Factor was cashing in on the
GTO craze. Today this would fetch big big money.

enjoy

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Got to take more photos.....

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a bottle of the cologne bought years ago.I'm pretty sure it's not an original but a repro of sorts.Since you brought this up,I remember back in the late '60's maybe,that my uncle had an electric razor witha a GTO emblem or lettering on the case.Does this sound liks something that existed back then or am I just imagining it?

Old 12-30-2009, 03:12 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

Again from my private collection, this is one of the small lite up signs Hurst did. Probably sold or gave them to various retail outlets as promotion. I also think they had one that had a electric clock as part of it.

Original promotional items are difficult to find today. I would put this around late 1960s early 1970s vintage.

Some companies today have some really neat advertising pieces which in years to come could become quite valuable since they are not something that was sold to the public.

More neat stuff coming later.

enjoy

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-30-2009, 11:30 PM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman65 View Post
I have a bottle of the cologne bought years ago.I'm pretty sure it's not an original but a repro of sorts.Since you brought this up,I remember back in the late '60's maybe,that my uncle had an electric razor witha a GTO emblem or lettering on the case.Does this sound liks something that existed back then or am I just imagining it?
kirban 2 cents worth

The razor does not ring a bell for me....I do recall a wagon that had the letters GTO on it....but the wagon had no association with the Pontiac GTO.....tried to play it that way.

Besides the twin pack like I have shown above they had them singly...and yes someone has kinda reproduced them over the years. Mine is the real McCoy...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-30-2009, 11:34 PM
PY VIP

kirban 2 cents worth

Just to give everyone a heads up reading this thread. MR AMC who posts my photos for me informs me that their is a limit for photos in each thread and I am darn close to the limit. I have contacted Chris about this in since this thread is like history related to see if number of photos can be increased.

Once I hear back then we can continue otherwise I guess it would have to go to a part II. I do run Hurst history on a totally unrelated thread also.

On another note: I am very very close to making a major deal that will interest much of the performance car industry and another item wil be based on a modified existing early GTO part.

Both items will be made available to all the GTO suppliers. Nothing like what I am working on has been offered like this before.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-30-2009, 11:36 PM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblsprt68 View Post
I love all things Hurst also. In need of some cash a few years ago, I sold my copy of "Hurst Heritage". I really loved that book because it had all the makes of cars he touched. This book was printed in 1984? I think. I think all of them were falling apart at the binding because of bad glue? Mine was anyway. Sold it on Ebay to a guy in Mexico! Wish I had it back...... My first car was going to be a 1974 Hurst Olds..... The engine was grenaded (literally) W30 455, so it needed a new engine. Dad didn't want me to get it. In 1983 I lived near an Olds dealership and they had a 1983 H/O. I used to look at that car and drool........... It made a memory that will last forever in my mind. Very, very cool stuff here. Keep it coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kirban 2 cents worth

those books did fall apart binding became brittle...actually they made 3 different color covers I have one of each in my collection.....

Good book....quite valuable today.....

You can find them once in awhile at Carlisle...

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 PM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblsprt68 View Post
kirban 2 cents worth

just noticed the town yo live in......Bullet cams is there and so is another cam company name escapes me....tried to get them to use our product...

I may have spelled their name wrong....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Maybe it was Lunati cams also?

Old 12-30-2009, 11:53 PM
PY VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
DENNIS, any of the LINDA VAUGHN/HURST items hard to find/collectible?

Ive had pleasure of meeting her two or three times over the years and one such meeting she signed the HURST OLDS featuring her by Johnny Lighting, a die cast car. I have some posters and other stuff featuring her and HURST items she has signed as well.
I know they not be very valuable, and not why I asked her to sign, but more special to me to hold in "collection". She was such a big part of that era of performance/racing and marketing. Still popular.

Jeff
kirban 2 cents worth

Undoubtedly, she is an icon to the entire performance car era and has stayed popular...I have her private phone number and talked to her just a few weeks ago.......

She travels alot to various major events and has a great memory....

About 5 years ago I sold a huge amount of items on ebay under my name so people knew my Hurst stuff was the real deal. I had about 7 or 8 of the 57 inch stand ups of her brand new in the box. They brought $700 to $800 each.

Any recognized icon associated with cars of value (as opposed to a Yugo), is worth money, it may not surface much at first, but as time goes by they go up in value. I am told to get Carroll Shelby to sign your Cobra dash he gets $500.

My good friend is Molly he did the Grand National project for Buick....we had him attend several o our Buick events and sign trunk ID labels which he did free. On a side note Molly does alot of work for Toyota....every Lexus you see on the road...he did the logo for!! The L in the oval circle. When cars are fairly new you don't give much thought...but just think 10-15 years ago John DeLorean (sp?) resides in nearby NJ....had any GTO owner been thinking been nice to get his signature and photopgrah of him signing something on your GTO.

I know he would have done it as I have seen several of his Delorean cars carry his signature on them.

Course for any real value you need to have proof it has been signed....example I have a bunch of pistons and rods signed by Don Garlits...out of his swamp rat hemi top fuel dragsters...I have photos of him signing them.....as proof...

I even bought the actual wheels and tires off his 001 drag pak challenger all 4 of them and they are signed by him with proof....Garlits has the most national wins at 144 of any top fuel drag racer....

Look what people pay for stupid stuff on ebay....with virtually hardly any proof....

You get my point....

When my Dad was young during the 1930s 1940s....not much entertainment existed for poor kids...he would write politicans and movie stars and request a signed black and white photo and put them in an album. It was cheap to do back then.

We still have that album....granted many of the names I don;t recognize but some I do...such as a young Ronald Reagan...and Walt Disney.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Point is, Hurst/Linda Vaughn their is no doubt both are well known and recognize even now 40 plus years later.

One car group that is big on getting signatures is the Corvette owners they get signatures on the engine fuel rail covers of the big names associated with the Corvette. Again the key is to snap a photo of the person doing it....all about proof....

Old 12-31-2009, 03:22 PM
PY VIP

kirban 2 cents worth

Mr AMC GUY has figured it out how to post more photos in my ongoing Hurst History thread. Keep in mind the wording I put with them since I am working several different car forums at once may not be geared to just GTO.

I should have up Monday some really rare photos and some dating back to World War II which has a connection with Hurst that I know 99% of you have never seen plus some photos taken at Washington DC about Hurst. Again highly unlikely they have been seen before.

Like I have mentioned earlier most of my collection centers around the extremely rare Hurst history.

I am about a week away from making this major deal that will have a lot of interest no matter what kind of car you own. Already one person locally to me that reads this forum will allow me to use his car in the photos.

One item we are basically modifiying an existing part and by doing so increasing the value! The other item is similar in idea but capitlizes on an important part of history as it is related to the performance car era.....

Both items will be made available to any and all interested Pontiac/GTO companies speed shops etc whatever. All the details have been worked out verbally.

stay tuned....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 01-01-2010, 12:05 PM

kirban 2 cents worth

HAPPY NEW YEAR VIEWERS OF THIS THREAD!

What you are seeing here is what I think is the most unusual Hurst knob in my collection and probably one of the rarest.

Could be a prototype or a production knob. I have no idea. If I had to guess early 1960s time frame. It measures 1 1/2 diameter. What may be hard to detect is the H is embossed or raised and the gold lettering of Hurst is imprinted in the center of the embossed H.

It has no pattern so it was probably used or planned to go on a dual gate perhaps the first style dual gate.

I have just over 50 different Hurst knobs in my collection. Do others exist? Probably.

More to come.

enjoy

denniskirban@yahoo.com

feed back always welcomed.

Fayetteville, NC
Old 01-02-2010, 09:54 AM

kirban 2 cents worth

Here is a photo of another rare Hurst knob from my personal collection. Again its one seldom seen may have been a sample or a low production knob., With no pattern could have been for a automatic.

It is all wood with the H carved in the top. Same size as my previous black knob pictured. This would probably also be early 1960s vintage.
Don't worry I won;t bore readers picturing all 50 plus knobs just some that you may have never seen before.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 01-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

DENNIS and ALL:

I saw this nice Pace Car Convertible coming up in FL later this month at MECUM auction.

Original #s 72 with low miles, said its one of the "rarest production models":

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...D=FL0110-88510
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FL0110-88510_1.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	192623  

Old 01-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Suspended

Here is a pic from a Hot Rod magazine road test of the 65 442. Notice the driver has on the Hurst glove. The article states that the glove works well with the Hurst shifter. What they didnt know was the shifter wasnt a Hurst it was a Muncie, like every other 4 speed 65 442.

In Feb of 65 Olds released the HD Ford 3 speed in the 442, and with it came a Hurst 3 speed shifter. The first time a Hurst shifter was used in a 442. They are extremely rare cars. 690 total and not all those were built after Feb 65. The cars before that were column shift 3 speeds.

The 3 speed shifter had 442 and HURST on the handle.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:31 AM
Suspended

My buddies friend 40 years ago.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:02 AM

kirban 2 cents worth

Pictured here is another early Hurst knob. This is a prototype that never saw production due to the design and material.

When the sunlight hits this knob depending on the position of the shifter in the car it sent a beam of light concentrated that can cause a fire such as zeroing in on the seat material or the door panel material.

When you were a kid you may have used a magnifying glass to burn holes....this crystal looking knob did the same thing.

I have no proof of this only what I was told years ago. I did get it from someone at Hurst. Hd it been made today and put in the marketplace their would be a major recall!!!

If my information is correct, this is one rare knob.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

World War II related Hurst info coming next. There is a connection....

Fayetteville, NC