Old 02-06-2010, 12:29 AM

Default Newbie to THIS forum

Like the title says, I'm a newbie to this forum but not a newbie to forums or to the Trans Am.

I stumbled across this forum while on the Pypes site and this looks like the proper place for my current situation....................and when I saw that John Witzke was here I knew it

Let's make this TECH:

Recently got a '79 TA W72 car, got full PHS documentation(how cool is this?) sez it was bought new @ Penn Pontiac in Baltimore. Apparently it has spent almost all it's life in SoCal, no rust whatsoever, but the original interior is long gone, sez it should have blue Velour but it's all vinyl. Rumor has it that this car spent most of it's time in the High Desert @ Edwards AFB(where they land the Space Shuttle in inclement weather) maybe that's why the interior is changed.

Any chance in hell that the build sheet is under the carpet or on top of the gas tank? It's a Norwood built car.

The seats are all re-done and it had some stereo mods so that's out.

I'll start another thread about the car 'cause I have more questions and may have usable info while this car is apart

Blue Velour Custom Interior
No A/C
No P/W
No Radio(UN9)
Old 02-06-2010, 02:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In my experience,Norwood built birds have only ONE build sheet & it's usually tucked under pass. rear seat bottom /under carpet.

Van Nuys built birds usually have three (including one on top of gas tank)

Old 02-06-2010, 02:32 PM

Thanks for the reply...........yeah I looked there but the seats are re-done and with the stereo mods this car must have had there's not even the insulator between the seat back and the trunk

If I find different once I strip the car down for resto/mods I'll post it up..........................

No A/C
No P/W
No Radio(UN9)
Old 02-06-2010, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My norwood built y88 car had it on top of the gas tank and my customer's norwood built 79 camaro had it in the springs of the upper rear seat/backrest

Old 02-06-2010, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anybody else out there find a Norwood build sheet on top of their gas tank?

97% of the 78-81's I find are Van Nuys built.

Finding a build sheet on ANY Norwood second gen Bird is a fairly uncommon experience,unless you are the first one behind the back seat.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 PM

So there's still hope but I'm not gonna hold my breath

the car's in a semi-storage situation right now so when I get time to dig into it I will

No A/C
No P/W
No Radio(UN9)
Old 02-07-2010, 09:49 AM
Senior Chief

My Norwood built Formula had the build sheet under the rear seat. Had the gas tank down to install a new screen on the pick up. Nothing there.

1995 Formula Firehawk #592

Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 AM

Well when you really think about it, think about the car going down the assembly line, the build sheet should be the last thing to go into the car,

so what goes in last?

The rear seat?

The gas tank?

It really shouldn't be under the carpet or behind the door panels if it's gotta go in last

My wife bought a '68 Camaro in '86, appeared to be original and unmolested but I tore that car apart looking for a build sheet and never found one(it's a Van Nuys car)

No A/C
No P/W
No Radio(UN9)
Old 02-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a build sheet in a '67 Catalina under the carpet on the front driver side. I know that car was never taken apart. It still had the carpet manufacturer's tag stapled to it. I've thought about that myself and what your saying makes perfect sence. Then again in 79 they were cranking those cars out probably faster than they should have. Who knows what was going on in that factory.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The build sheets that we find tucked behind & under seats are likely put there in the upholstery/trim shop & NOT left by the actual line workers.

It would be interesting to know how many copies of a build sheet were actually used in the production of one vehicle.

Obviously,anything that was visible (in or on car) would have been tossed during final clean-up.

As I recall,I found 4 in a Van Nuys 78 T/A & that was NOT counting the one on top of gas tank (that's ALWAYS there on a late Van Nuys build)

Old 02-14-2010, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 79 that was built at van nuys. It had one build sheet under the rear seat. Had the gas tank out - no sheet there.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oddly enough, I've never owned a Norwood car. I've owned 7-8 79 VN cars though and I've found sheets behind every backseat, a couple under the pass. seat and a 10th car that had one under the carpet on the trans. tunnel that I left in place.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
I have a 79 that was built at van nuys. It had one build sheet under the rear seat. Had the gas tank out - no sheet there.

no sheet Mike?

No A/C
No P/W
No Radio(UN9)
Old 02-14-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W72-Bandit View Post
Oddly enough, I've never owned a Norwood car. I've owned 7-8 79 VN cars though and I've found sheets behind every backseat, a couple under the pass. seat and a 10th car that had one under the carpet on the trans. tunnel that I left in place.

The carpet seems to be the only original thing left in this car.......................(crossed fingers)

and the gas tank......................and it's gettin' replaced, looks like someone dropped it off a jack

No A/C
No P/W
No Radio(UN9)

Last edited by JeffersonMo; 02-14-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:54 PM

My Norwood produced 1977 Trans Am came with three build sheets, one under the passenger side rear seat, still there. The other two, one a copy with tape on the top along with a two page with carbon paper was in the car when we took delivery.