Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM

Default time gap, Date code to assembly ?

What is the acceptable time gap between the Rally II wheel date code and the biuld date of a car . my car was biult first week of June 69 . should wheels be dated mid May ?

thanks Jim

Old 02-25-2010, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is no perfect answer, but a survey of wheels may give you some guidance.

I only had the orignal spare when I got my Judge. The wheels were one of the few nonoriginal parts. But the spare is dated January 9, 1969, and my car is 1C. I suspect that things such as wheels, alternators, brake boosters, shifters, etc were normally dated closer to the assembly date of the car.

The latest date code on my car is the rear end's assembly date of January 17, which is not long before the car was assembled. (The center section was cast earlier of course.) The wheels are Jan 9th as I said, the alternator is Jan 2 or 3rd (cannot remember) and the brake booster is Jan 10th. The earliest dates are the intake, block and heads which are all late October 1968 except for the intake which is actually Jan 12, 1968. The intake is the earliest dated part! The 273 carb is December and the distributor is November.

I believe if the wheels are at least a week and no more than 6 or 8 weeks that they will appear very reasonable.

I have a set now, but correctly dated JA wheels are a real pain to find. good luck

Some people know all of their rights, but none of their obligations.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim -

I concur with BW - 2 weeks to 2 months seems to be reasonable.

Also, as discussed, here's a link to a prior discussion on this topic.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=595619

On a related note, it looks like I've finally completed a set of JA's for my 05B car - all dated 4/29 and 4/30. Think I had to buy/sell/trade about 20 wheels (not an exaggeration!) in the process.

Good luck in your search, and that's a sweeeeeeeet Antique Gold Judge that you have!

Scott