Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Default Will the old faithful cam be too much for a 432?

Here we go,

76 T/A loaded and heavy (approx 4100 w/driver)
432 short block with KB 10cc dish pistons and 0 decked
KRE gasket matched and milled to 70cc out of the box AL. heads
cliff qjet
sun tuned HEI
self modified iron intake
Ram Air 2.5 manifolds and 2.5 x-pipe full exhaust
T-350 / Hughes GM25 stall
3.42 gears.

I had full intentions of running the "Stump Puller" HR cam as the car is heavy and not geared real steep. After a quick talk with Cliff he said I may have too much static compression with that cam to run 92 octane. (approx 11.0 to 1). So I called Marcel at SD and he talked to Dave and they both say with that compression I should run the "Old Faithful" to keep it safe and manageable. They say that with that compression I should still have plenty of power down low to get the car moving.

I guess I am worried about drive-ability with the smaller cubes. I know if it were the 455+ cubes I would not even 2nd guess it. Just looking for opinions I guess. or the "it will be just fine" warm and fuzzy........

Thanks

Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

What did Dave and Marcel say about using this cam in your heavy car????

I wouldn't give your 3.42:1 gear a "steep" label, it sounds appropriate for a street car.

I consider 2.41:1 steep...

Cliff built a simular engine a couple of years ago w/ the smaller cam, I just don't remember the comp ratio.......

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 05-10-2010, 03:46 PM

All calls I have had have been with Marcel. He has questioned Dave on the side. I voiced my concern about the car being a sled out of the hole because I have always been slightly over cammed with my 400. His opinion was with the high compression and the 428 stroke that it would not lack in bottom end torque. I am not looking for the ultimate race car I just want it to fry tires on demand. and be quick. The car appears stock and nobody ever thinks it would be fast. with the 400 and the 60916 cam I have been told a little more gear (3.73) and a little more converter (2800-3000) and my out of the hole issues would be cured. Thats why I went 4 inch stroke and roller cam. So I can keep my gears and converter. Hoping Cliff and others will respond. I guess we will see.......

Old 05-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiac...chineshop.html
Give Ken [aka P-Dude] a call about a hyd roller for your set up. Ask him about the "Butcher Saturday Night Special". See my signature. Over two tons launching off the line, sixty foots under 1.60. Lots of vacuum for the brakes and other accessories. Drive it around town all day and race it all night. No better cam for a street/strip application.
Thanks,
Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

At 11 to 1 static compression, definetely go with the larger camshaft. We built a 428 a few years ago at 10.6 to 1 compression, and used a 236/242/110 HR cam, and it manages pump fuel fine, and made 497hp with an iron intake/q-jet. It also made over 530ft lbs torque, with over 500ft lbs across most of the loaded rpm range.

If you end up lacking slightly off the line with the new build, I'd upgrade the torque converter to closer to 2800-3000rpm's stall speed. A Continental 10" would be as tight or tighter than the Hughs for "normal" driving, and flash higher on full throttle starts...best of both Worlds.....IMHO.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),