Old 05-14-2010, 06:17 PM

Default 62 4cyl. Exhaust info needed.

Has anyone out there put a custom exhaust on their 4 cylinder Tempest? If so, what did you use and what kind of sound did you get. I'm afraid if I put a Flowmaster or glasspack on, it would sound like an import.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

knowing I was going to put a V8 in mine,I put a flomaster on it and it DID sound wierd.Tom

Old 05-14-2010, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am currently running a 3 tube header with a 2.5" pipe all the way out the back. I have a thrush welded steel muffler in the stock position just in front of the transaxle. At idle & at rpm at road speed it sounds great. Its too loud for my liking when accelerating. No matter what you do, it wont sound like a honda fart pipe.

POCI.org
Old 05-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 4 tube header that goes into a Mr Gasket cut-out for running wide open. Other end goes into a custom bent 2" exhaust with a Thrush turbo muffler. Car is still loud but sounds good. Not like a V8 but not like an import either. I chose 2" because I had a NOS 2" tail pipe from a 4cyl 4bbl car. I also have a 4bbl and with the head milled I should have close to 9 to 1 compression. The 4bbl and the higher compression make it sound better than the stock 1bbl.