Old 05-23-2010, 04:57 PM

Unhappy More OIL PAN HELP !!!

Is it me or do you have to either a) Pull the engine or b) Drop the front cross member to change the oil pan?
Sorry guys, but these Tempests are new to me. Wife nagging me to stick to Chevys, since they are easy to work on.
p.s. anyone ever put J.B. Weld on an oil pan?

Last edited by PonchoTom6062; 05-23-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: addtnl info
Old 05-23-2010, 05:09 PM

Since I cut my springs, I drag on any and everything in the road. Kind of annoying, but its the price I pay. I have found a radiator repair putty at checker that you kneed together and mix the white color with the black color to make a even grey color. Put the putty over the hole, as long as its not too big, and let it sit. Try to wipe off any dripping oil first. It dries hard as a rock. Seems to work good until I drag it off.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Xnay on the JB. Leave the Bubba work for Chevy guys. Best results will be to raise the engine about 5 inches. I'd pull it to install all new seals and check things out (i.e. bearings, oil pump, etc) if it's about that time.

No offense to those named Bubba out there. Just a descriptive term I picked up along the way.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Senior Chief

I agree with Banshee, you got to raise that pan or risk losing your motor. Cold weld, rock shield, those fixes will only prolong the inevitable if it's getting hit so hard it's getting punctured, got to move it out of the way.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:19 PM

Well, time any money dictated the use of putty for now. Luckily, the hit on the pan was a one-time deal. This is gonna have to do for about a month. Thanks for the advice guys. Although the misses and I both drive new Chevys, there is nothing like a classic Pontiac!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:16 PM

My name is steve and the use of the putty comes from owning a vw and fixing things with whatever is within arms reach. Hearing you guys say to rise the engine 5 inches makes me think I can get 5 inches lower!?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would highly recommend pulling the motor, replacing the rear main seal with the Viton seal from BOP Engineering. I just got done doing this to my motor this past weekend. I also replaced my front seal with the later design and everything works great, no leaks! I would replace the oil pump too if you got the pan off, while you are there.

I have tried to replace oil pumps and gaskets on my back under a car with the engine raised, its not worth the trouble, These cars are so easy to work on, you can have the motor out in under 2 hours taking your time.

My two cents, good luck!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:49 PM

After reading your resposes, I think I will pull the motor and replace everything under it. I'm using the putty as a temporary fix so I can at least drive it until I can get an original pan and gasket set. If anyone knows where I can get a pan, drop me a line. Thanks again for all your replies.