Old 06-02-2010, 09:26 AM

Default '69 GTO cracked transmission

I am finishing a restoration on a loaded '69 GTO (limelight green) that was been stored in a barn for the past 25+ years before I bought it about a year ago. It does have all original items and #'s matching on the car. Well, about 2 weeks ago I took my wife with me on the maiden voyage when the transmission, which I did not rebuild (t400), made a strange noise, dumped a ton of fluid and died....How sad! Anyway, I took my car to my favorite mechanic and he said the transmission is not rebuildable and cracked on the inside of the housing. He will be installing in a '74 Buick (aghhh) t400 trans that he will rebuild 1st. I will pick up the original transmission soon and bring it home. My question-can the trans housing be repaired? It would need to be fixed from the inside and ground down I suspect. Is this a lost cause?? This is a car that I do not plan on selling, so resale is not that big of a deal-more mental than anything. Is not having the original trans that big of a deal?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where exactly is it cracked? They can be welded up like anything else as long as its not a critical area and the case has not expanded. I would keep it around regardless if its the original unit for your 69.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------
Old 06-02-2010, 09:53 AM

I have not seen the case yet, but my mechanic said that it would need to be fixed from the inside...a C-clip broke and pushed everything foward causing this crack. When I get it home I will be able to get a better look at it. I just don't know much about auto transmissions myself...

Old 06-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where are you located?

I'm doing the auto the mt switch and I have the original TH-400 tranny from my 69 gto in the corner gathering dust.

I'm just north of Cincy.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:03 AM

I'm in Aurora, Oregon...just south of Portland.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you care about #'s matching, then yes, it may be worth fixing, if the damage is not beyond repair...otherwise, why go to all the trouble? Pontiac TH400's are not hard to find...Just my $.02

Old 06-02-2010, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by swens421HO View Post
I'm in Aurora, Oregon...just south of Portland.
I'm sure that shipping a tranny from Ohio to Oregon would probably exceed the cost of the tranny itself.

Good luck.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:46 PM

I guess my main question is can mine be fixed? Is it something that is possible? The crack is not on the outside, but the inside. Maybe, I'm just being too much a freak about #'s matching...Thanks for all our responses. Jon

Old 06-02-2010, 02:31 PM

Ok, I went to my mechanic and looked at the tranny. It's not cracked, it's sheared off the metal studs that hold the front metal drum...

Old 06-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At least with this horrible spring we are having, you have plenty of time to get it fixed!

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Yes! In case your short of rain in you area of the country-we got all of you shares and plenty for the rest of the year. They are talking 2" of rain today in Portland, Oregon.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am just to the east of you a couple hundred miles and we are not short either. Our may average is .6 of an inch, we got over that in a single day! One of the reasons I moved from the valley back to EO was to escape the rain!

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by swens421HO View Post
Ok, I went to my mechanic and looked at the tranny. It's not cracked, it's sheared off the metal studs that hold the front metal drum...
Im assuming what your talking about is the lugs that hold the snap ring in place? I have torn many 400's apart to find a broken lug laying in the pan. Some say you can still use the case with one or two broken off but personally I never have. There are plenty BOP cases to go around. Keep the internal parts if you can. The 69 trans should have the sprag type direct drum which can be upgraded to a 34 element unit.

Sandy, UT
---------------------------------------------------