Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:01 AM

Default Yamaha vrago 250 has issues

its my small 250 yamaha virago , ran flawlessly last season ,,, put stabil in tank last fall and started it a few times while sored in my shed in Mass ... this spring the battery was dead so i charged it and the slutch was out of adjustment so i let it out a bit ...

It starts fine and idles ok , it lets me run about a quarter mile and dies like its being choked .... it wont restart for a long time..... The gas is not shut off .... its full ..... i pulled air filter to check for mice .... I added about a half can of "seafoam" to gas to clean out carb due to someones suggestion ..... someone else suggested the magneto may be bad? im stumped and it stinke to push a bike home ...

Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 AM

Old 06-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Run it VERY close to home(so you don't have to push so far) when it dies pull the plugs and hit the starter to check for spark. If you have spark you just eliminated that.
Pull the fuel line to see if the flow is good.( I had one come apart on the inside and a small chunk would plug the line until enough gas passed by and the flap went back up then it would run for a little again)
Then you might have to pull the tank and clean or replace the filter in there(if it has one).

Old 06-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Suspended

these have intank fuel filters (screen type) and are known for plugging or if theres water in the tank (from condensation) not allowing it to pass fuel , take the tank off carefully and drain it thru the filler ( or use the crossover line if it has one ) and then remove the fuel valve screws and check the filter ( clean with choke cleaner ) and then drain the carbs , replace the gaskets with new ones they are cheap thru your dealer, never reuse the old ones as they will leak like a sieve , worst thing is you might have to replace the whole valve assy .

Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 AM

expecting bad storms today , but this will all be checked out, thanks ...

Old 06-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Suspended

ya we had them rip thru here last night 80 mph winds clocked , and massive ammounts of rain.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its the battery, had one, been there done that. It can and will somewhat recharge but I lay odds its got a shorted cell, or half shorted.
I learned long ago about bike batteries. Drain the acid, rinse with demineralized water, dry and store upside down. Fresh acid and a charge in spring each year.
good luck, love those Virago's!! I had a 750 midnight special long ago...my buddy had a 250 like yours more recently.