Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Anyone ever deal with guy on ebay selling carbs named Rochestercarbs?

Long story short - I purchased a restamped carb from this guy in May (Yes, I knew it was not a REAL 1970 455HO RA carb). When it arrived, the accelerator pump will not depress unless MASSIVE force is applied to throttle linkage. After weeks of sporadic communication, I send him a video of the throttle action of one of my good carbs and then his. It also had damage on the air horn that was not disclosed. He agreed to replace it and refund my shipping upon receiving the carb back for inspection.

I sent carb, insured and delivery confirmation/signature required. It was received. More than 1 month later, still no carb. I contact him and he responds that he will ship "tomorrow morning" and asks me to confirm address. 8 days - still nothing. I ask for shipping information as it has not arrived. Still nothing. 10 days I ask for overnight shipping or refund. Still no response

Tonight I send yet another ebay "email" and one to his Yahoo account asking the whereabouts for my carb...all the while he continues to sell carbs on ebay.I'm a patient and never had anyone ever question dealings with me. I'm a straight shooter, am patient and I don't like being jerked around.

Name provided: David Monzon
Yahoo email: ramair242@yahoo.com
Ebay ID: rochestercarbs

Anyone know this guy? Anyone deal with this guy?

Thanks, Kurt

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 08-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How did you pay for it?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:55 PM

Well, I for one hate the run-around...did you give him bad feedback on e-bay?...or did you buy it privately?...I'm thinking you could cost him alot of business if he doesn't smarten up.

Old 08-25-2010, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopper146 View Post
Well, I for one hate the run-around...did you give him bad feedback on e-bay?...or did you buy it privately?...I'm thinking you could cost him alot of business if he doesn't smarten up.
Here's the issue, whether by accident or design, he stalled enough that my recourse on EBAY is now void. Remember, he DID send a carb. My complaint is that it was not as described (i.e. in working order). He agreed to remedy the situation but stalled in the process to get there by asking me to describe the problem, then taking days to respond.

My recourse now is to press him via email on the carb. I can't contact anyone at ebay as this transaction is too old. I'll look into paypal now.

I just want the carburetor I was promised, restored and in good working order. I paid his asking price and I expect that he delivers. I know his address and can find other information if needed. I also know a sheriff down in Phoenix who MAY (I'm holding off asking so far) pay a visit for me... :D

Why can't people behave honorably? It's really not that hard...

Facebook Event
Old 08-25-2010, 02:12 AM

Hmmmm...couldn't find him on e-bay....

Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 AM
Senior Chief

Default Together we can fix this situation....

I just sent the seller a message through eBay letting him know he needed to make this right. If we each do that once a day he should get the message. :)

Old 08-25-2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gtoMN View Post
I also know a sheriff down in Phoenix who MAY (I'm holding off asking so far) pay a visit for me... :D
Ask Crowbar Bill to go over. He's a railroad conductor, and therefore can legally punch the guy's ticket!

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 08-25-2010, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After 54+ years on this planet, I've come to the conclusion that habitually dishonorable or dishonest people are deeply selfish people who always crave need to have an upper hand in any dealings with their fellow human beings. This dishonesty is a direct result of the need to establish a power position in any interaction.

To my mind, a reputation of honesty and reliability are among the most valuable possessions a man can ever hope to establish.

Retaining those reputations is one of life's most difficult achievements.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where is this guy located?

Perhaps you should post a link to one of his auctions,then we will know not to deal with him.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70pontiaction View Post
I just sent the seller a message through eBay letting him know he needed to make this right. If we each do that once a day he should get the message. :)
Thank you! I send him emails each night asking for the carb to be sent - not a single response. I'll keep trying and I welcome anyone to join in. I just want what I paid for...

Facebook Event
Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoric View Post
To my mind, a reputation of honesty and reliability are among the most valuable possessions a man can ever hope to establish.

Retaining those reputations is one of life's most difficult achievements.

You are so right......but retaining them is easy, just do the right thing. Stand behind what you do and sell and all will be right.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:49 AM
Senior Chief

I couldn't agree with you more gtoric,

Kurt I sent you a PM, I am going to be in Phoenix in a week if you want me to try to pay him a visit I would....I'm not shy. :D

Tim

Old 08-27-2010, 07:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to Cartman TD

If you paid through paypal, file a complaint with them. I just got over that with a guy that bought a 6213 Holley from me. He didnt purchase shipping insurance and all the linkage on the carb got destroyed during shipping(shipped from maryland to saskatoon, Canada). He filed a complaint saying it was "not as described" and they gave him his money back, and i got the busted carb back, and a $228 hole in my pocket because he didnt buy shipping insurance, but i have to pay to fix it. Paypal protects the buyer in ALL circumstances. The seller has no protection whatsoever. I would definately file a complaint. E-bay owns paypal so they have the same ethics.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:27 AM

You never mentioned , had the seller restored the carb you purchased? It appears that you purchased a used carb and yes the accellerator pump will stick if the unit has set up for a short period. this is a common issue with used rochester carbs and is an easy fix. I have bought several carbs from rochestercarbs in the past and never had a problem.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Update on situation:

Seller refused all contact with me, not responding to email, phone or mail requests for my carburetor or my refund. I filed a dispute with PayPal, but it was beyond the 45-day dispute period. Not being one to accept "no" easily, I called the Customer Service line and was eventually connected with an Agent. Even though my dispute was "rejected", it caused a file to be created logging the details of my complaint. The Agent looked at the dispute and, again, informed me that I was past the limit.

At this point, I asked him what one is supposed to do when somebody "games" the system and delays / hides their fraudulent behavior or intentions until it is beyond the recourse time line? I simply repeated that I had all receipts (signature confirmation from reshipment, USPS signature capture printout from USPS, copies of all email and ebay messages, etc) and the seller had both my part AND my money.

He re-read the dispute and asked just a couple of quick questions. He then escalated to a CLAIM status. (See, the Agents have the ability to escalate!). I found the email address to use when submitting my documentation (what I listed above) and waited for the 10-day resolution window to pass. PayPal contacted the seller and he had 10-days to respond. No response. Automatic win for me.

Result: I received a full refund, minus what I spent to send the carb back to the seller.

As Eric stated, there are disreputable people everywhere. The old Latin saying applies, Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware.

Tips:
  1. One must fill out the online dispute form first - make certain to include your dispute number. PayPal email to submit paperwork (I had to search long and hard to find it): complaint-response@paypal.com
  2. If you get an automated rejection, call and speak with an Agent to have them escalate.
  3. Beware of eBay seller Rochestercarbs

Facebook Event