Old 10-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Patrick. So good to hear all went well and you're recovering well. Yeah, pain will be your friend for a while but it's a friend you can forget about in due time. After my surgery I spent that night in the holspital. The old guy in the room with me, around 80 years old, had a bladder problem and was yelling all night for a nurse. He refused to use the button because they came faster when he screamed, and I got zero sleep that night. I think that was the longest night of my life, heh. I actually had very little pain once home and did not need any pain releivers. I even accused the Doctor of just cutting the skin and patching that up, and charging for the surgery. He did laugh--kinda--. He told me everyone is different. Take it easy, follow all the rules to the letter. DO NOT STRAIN ANYTHING. It should be good fast. One thing though. If you are the type that will sit in a chair, raise your arms above your head and stretch, then change your ways, heh. Believe me, it's not good anymore. Otherwise all should be good. Still thinking of ya during your recovery. Mark L

Old 10-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks73ta View Post
Hey Patrick. So good to hear all went well and you're recovering well. Yeah, pain will be your friend for a while but it's a friend you can forget about in due time. After my surgery I spent that night in the holspital. The old guy in the room with me, around 80 years old, had a bladder problem and was yelling all night for a nurse. He refused to use the button because they came faster when he screamed, and I got zero sleep that night. I think that was the longest night of my life, heh. I actually had very little pain once home and did not need any pain releivers. I even accused the Doctor of just cutting the skin and patching that up, and charging for the surgery. He did laugh--kinda--. He told me everyone is different. Take it easy, follow all the rules to the letter. DO NOT STRAIN ANYTHING. It should be good fast. One thing though. If you are the type that will sit in a chair, raise your arms above your head and stretch, then change your ways, heh. Believe me, it's not good anymore. Otherwise all should be good. Still thinking of ya during your recovery. Mark L
I believe you are correct. I have done that a few times and the back of my neck between my shoulders is where it tightens up beyond what I can tollerate.
The Valium has helped a bunch. Right now no pain.
I am to call the nurse tomorrow with and update, I will tell her about no longer stretching with my arms over my head.
Thanks Mark

patrick

Old 10-18-2010, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well if you could sing the song Born Free and insert Pain Free that would be me. It will be 3 weeks Thursday. Talking with the Nurse every other day, modifying when and what combination of pain meds has really helped. Plus thanks to my degenerate brother for his pillow has helped tremenduously. I will have to go buy one.
So this am has been the first morning I have woken up with out pain.
Still have to be very cautious but the repair is looking good.
Cheers to all my Darksider freinds for your thoughts and prayers.
You keep my going to get well.

patrick

Old 10-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65WJ View Post
thats funny but it hurts to laugh. lol
oh i should have said this was a anterior cervacal fusion with discectomy C-5,6 and 6,7
I did go out to watch my daughter march in issma district contest today. In the pouring rain they scored a gold so they march in regionals in 2 weeks.
Slightly on the sore side.

patrick
I feel for you, Patrick. My wife had an L-4/L-5 and L-5/S-1 fusion performed on 9/22. Front and rear incision for the Ulrich cages and rods/screw to stabilize the spine. She is almost to the point where she can walk sort of normal without a cane. I think she thought the Doctor was full of crap when he said it would be a 3 month recovery period.

May the torque be with you.
Old 10-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ummmmm... degenerate and pillow usually don't belong in the same sentence, I can only imagine its construction and purpose

Glad you are feeling better, keep moving, it is the best medicine.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragtop Man View Post
Ummmmm... degenerate and pillow usually don't belong in the same sentence, I can only imagine its construction and purpose

Glad you are feeling better, keep moving, it is the best medicine.
lmao oooooppppppppsssssssyyyyyyy.
pillow has great support and is doing wonderfully.
My brother has not done his part is picking up after everyone.
My do not list has no house chores at all. So it is up to him to pick up the slack and he gets it done just not in a timely manner that i would prefer. Hence the term degenerate.

Stu
Make sure she follows dr. orders. I have (for the first time) and am glad I have.
My recovery is 4-6 weeks. Then limited duty. 1 year total healing.
prayers sent for your wife.

patrick

Old 10-18-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior Chief

Great news Patrick, sooo glad your feeling better!! Before you know it you will be working on that old Pontiac!!

C5 Corvette Roadster
Old 10-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good new from you Patrick. Really good to hear you're doing well. Like all good things it just takes time (and lots 'o drugs, heh). And Stu, what Patrick said. Good luck to her as well. During the recovery for my back, I was almost run over by UPS. Our little subdivision had a narrow access road to the back of the subdivision. I would walk down my driveway and down the road (no one really used it) and back. There was a wide sweeping curve just before my house but usually anyone using it never went over 10 mph. One day the UPS guy came screaming around the curve looking at something in the truck (bills???). Never did see me (after talking to him several days later). Here I am, navigating a walker, with my full body brace (looked like Batmans chest) and trying to get down in the ditch while my slip on slippers are falling off and it was still wet and muddy down in the ditch (I did make it). I have never moved so slow, so fast in my life. But damn it, I stayed upright, heh. Mark L

Old 10-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Good new from you Patrick. Really good to hear you're doing well. Like all good things it just takes time (and lots 'o drugs, heh). And Stu, what Patrick said. Good luck to her as well. During the recovery for my back, I was almost run over by UPS. Our little subdivision had a narrow access road to the back of the subdivision. I would walk down my driveway and down the road (no one really used it) and back. There was a wide sweeping curve just before my house but usually anyone using it never went over 10 mph. One day the UPS guy came screaming around the curve looking at something in the truck (bills???). Never did see me (after talking to him several days later). Here I am, navigating a walker, with my full body brace (looked like Batmans chest) and trying to get down in the ditch while my slip on slippers are falling off and it was still wet and muddy down in the ditch (I did make it). I have never moved so slow, so fast in my life. But damn it, I stayed upright, heh. Mark L
Scary hell. That is petrifying (sp). Mine is another rear end collision while riding to dr. appoitments. So far so good. One tomorrow with the wrist surgeon and Nuerosurgeon on Thursday. One thing is for sure I do things at super slow motion speed. lol

patrick

Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

All is fine. Dr. said I am progressing nicely. I can drive, slowly but I can drive. I can move my head side to side and down but not up for any reason.
I can go back to work as my stamina will allow. I may stay home another week. Just because I can. Lots of paperwork at work to do, so I may go in and get that done.
Next up MRI's on both wrists again to see what is still causing the sharp pain beside the torn TFC complex. Will know the results on Tuesday.

patrick

Old 10-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Senior Chief

I passed everyone's best wishes to my wife. She thanks all and sends best wishes to Patrick.

May the torque be with you.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's what families are for. Mark L

Old 10-22-2010, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That's what families are for. Mark L
Amen Mark
Well said.

patrick

Old 10-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well the wrists are still the same. Second set of MRI's still showed the same damage. I get to use my pink 3 lb dumbell curls all winter. Hopefully by April they will be ok. I have seen some progress with them just slower than I want.
Next appotiment Nov 12 on the neck.

patrick

Old 11-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wooooo Whooo Neurosurgeon never wants to see me again. Everything is fine. I still have a few restrictions. In a couple more months I will be back to normal.
Thank you for all your positive thoughts and prayers.
Now to settle this thing with her insurance, Yippie ki eh. Bring on the Lawyers.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 PM

Great News Patrick!

BTW you were NEVER "Normal" Buddy!

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-23-2010, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know that would be "abby normal"

Old 11-24-2010, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool. See you at Norwalk, Dude!