Old 11-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default how to remove 65 gto wiper blade arm?

I have a 65 GTO and I can not figure out how to get the wiper arms off. My 66 was easy, you just raised the arm and they released from the shaft and you just pulled them off. If anyone knows how to get the 65 wiper arms off, I could use some advice.

Thanks,
Dale

Old 11-24-2010, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Should be same as 66, they have to come off the serrated linkage evenly and of course pull the release tab away from the groove with small flat nose screw driver.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:36 AM

Default wiper arm

Bob is correct. You lift the end of the wiper where the wiper arm does not extend out and it lifts right off.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is what I thought, but both of them will not come off. I will try again tonight and ensure the tab is releasing from the grove. They may just be corroded and need a little extra tug. I need to get them off because I want to remove the cowl cover and clean and detail under it.
Thanks for the help,
Dale

Old 11-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dale, put something under where you pry on the tab. Paint stick works. If don't you'll chew up your paint. They are tricky so be careful.

There used to be a tool for removing the wiper arms but I can't find it anywhere. The Paddock used to have them but they're out of business. Maybe someone here at PY might know whre to find them. Sure would "take the worry out of being close". LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just remember to move the tab where the arm sits on top of the serrated part. If you don't release that tab the wiper won't come off.

If your 66 wipers came off that easy, then the tab was most likely broken and wasn't catching where it needs to catch to keep the arm secure.

If you have a spare wiper arm lying around, you should be able to see the tab and how to release it. This will help when trying to get those wipers off.

Mark

1965 GTO: 467 (Built By Dan Willever), 400 Block, Eagle 4.25 Stroke, Eagle 6.8 Rods, BRC Pistons, Custom Grind Hydraulic Roller Cam, Edelbrock 72cc Heads Ported, HS Rockers, Doug's Headers, Edelbrock Victor 4150, QTF 850 Carb, TCI Flex plate, AutoGear M22 4 Speed, SPEC Clutch and Pressure Plate, 12 Bolt 3:73 Posi.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all the help, I will try it again tonight. I don't remember having this much trouble with my 66. But like you said, the tabs may not have been catching right. I will definitely use a stir stick under it. Even though the car will get repainted someday, I don't want to damage what is currently there.
Dale

Old 11-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Corrosion or paint will be the most likely suspect.
Here is one of the tools if needed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Lisle...item43a34ca873

Old 11-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default How to remove

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but have a good grip on the arm when you pry it up off of the splined hub it fits on. These things can jump off suddenly and skate across your hood, etc. Don't ask me how I know this.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I finally got them off. There were no clips, but a lot of corrosion and paint. Both of the spline heads are severely damaged, large pieces missing. Looks like I am going to need new studs with heads. I would imagine these are all one piece. It doesn't look like anyone sells new ones, so I will be in the market for good used ones. Will probably need new wiper arms as well because neither one has the retaining clips.

Anyone have some laying around? This is also why I wasn't too worried about damaging the hood
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030850.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	225739   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030851.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	225740   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030852.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	183.8 KB
ID:	225741  

Old 11-25-2010, 01:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You might want to check all the pivot points on your wiper transmissions to make sure they are still good.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
You might want to check all the pivot points on your wiper transmissions to make sure they are still good.
When I pull them out I was going to check all of the rotating joints.

Old 11-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

JAHU.....Soak the bolts holding the pivot units in with PB Blaster. You might need them later and they can be hard to find, as they are a special bolt. And when you put them back in use Anti Seize on them.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
JAHU.....Soak the bolts holding the pivot units in with PB Blaster. You might need them later and they can be hard to find, as they are a special bolt. And when you put them back in use Anti Seize on them.
That is good advice. I haven't made any steps to removing them yet because of the Holiday. But, I will definitely spray them before I try to remove them. With this old car you don't do anything without your can of PB Blast by your side.
Dale

Old 11-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm pretty sure I have some 65 wiper arms. PM me if interested.
Steve

Old 12-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default How to remove

One other thought on your wiper transmission arms/linkage. The ball and socket pivot points can get rusty and break. At one time, there was a repair kit for this that contained a copper or brass piece stamped with a concave surface to repair the damaged socket section. It was held in place by small pop rivets or screws and was sold under the "HELP" brand. Finding a complete linkage system in good used condition shouldn't be too hard, but maybe you can repair yours if you need to.