Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile DCI TIGER Head Facts

I keep getting phone calls about the spec's for the original DCI TIGER Heads that I engineered and designed. So to help clear things up and eliminate hear say from twisted third party views. I have compiled a list of FACTS about my original DCI TIGER Heads.

Fact #1
The very first original prototype DCI TIGER head (that I still have), flowed 422 cfm .900 lift @28 inches of test pressure on a Superflow 600 bench. This is documented in High Performance Pontiac magazine October 2003 by Tom Demauro the editor.

Fact #2
The very first set of as cast or production DCI TIGER heads (on my engine now) that I produced flow 439cfm .900 @28 inches on a Superflow 600 bench. The only difference between these and the prototype head is the valve job. No port changes what so ever.

Fact #3
The original DCI TIGER heads valve sizes are 2.25 intake and 1.800 exhaust

Fact #4
The valve seats on the original DCI TIGER heads interlock. This was done to move the intake valve away from the cylinder wall as much as possible and unshroud it. This gave us .230 clearance on a 4.350 bore with a 2.250 intake valve.

Fact #5
The original DCI TIGER heads could be used on a factory block with a 4.190 bore and 2.25 intake valve, Although not recommended because of shrouding. About .080 clearance from cylinder with a 2.250 valve.

Fact #6
The DCI TIGER heads original combustion chamber as cast is a very good heart shape design with double quench areas, and works very well as cast. Although it was intended to be cnc machined for various combustion chamber sizes and shapes, depending on the application.

Fact #7
The original DCI TIGER heads were also engineered to use stud mounted rockers although not recommended. This was done for the Pro Street crowd using a .700 lift or less cam.

Fact #8
The original DCI TIGER heads water core is one of the heads best kept secrets. I engineered a large area of water into the center of the head to help alleviate the hot spot between the two center cylinders. I engineered this so that you could blow cool water into the center of the head and pull it out of the ends cooling the center of the heads first.

Fact #9
The original DCI TIGER Heads were engineered with multiple exhaust port configurations. A standard D-port, standard round port, raised 1 1/2" round port, and a version with the dog leg milled away for a straight shot exhaust.

Fact #10
My original DCI TIGER heads also had a distinguishing ribbed exhaust surface strictly for cosmetics only. This way when someone seen the heads on your engine, they knew you were packin!!

Fact #11
This last fact is in my opinion the most important. I had tried several different foundries to get my head to market to no avail. Because the head is a low volume part, the foundries continued to push me to the back delaying my production of the heads. I knew that I had a very good product and wanted to see it brought to market. So after some very deep and serious thought, I decided to pass the torch and let someone else continue what I started. TO GET MY TIGERS to market!!! Believe me that was not easy. Kind of like giving up your first born. Looking back now, I wish I would have just taken a break from the project and put together another plan of attack. So many of you guy's out there tried to get me to keep the head and regroup, but I wanted to see the TIGERS on cars at the track. I knew the TIGERS would take our beloved traditional Pontiac's to the next level and was willing to give them up for that. I have since learned allot, and with my new DCI Ram Air V heads have no intention of ever selling my design to anyone. I WILL!! get these to market with some patience. I would like to say, Thank You to all of you that have supported me and my ideas. Stay tuned as I get my new heads to market soon and raise the bar again.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-628-3354 cell
330-850-5050 shop
Designer of the TIGER Heads and the new DCI Ram Air V heads coming soon!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCI 541 TIGER 005.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	228134   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCI 541 TIGER 001.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	228135  

Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HMMM interesting post.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

So what's the point.

The Tiger heads are now All Pontiac production and are re-modified & upgraded.

Last edited by PONTIAC DUDE; 12-16-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have current Tigers ??

Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don,

I'm curious what year you started development on the Tiger head? Those airflow numbers are very close to the current full CNC ported Tiger heads I recently had in my shop.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you sell the rights outright or do you get a percentage of sales?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-17-2010, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question re: point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE View Post
So what's the point.

The Tiger heads are now All Pontiac production and are re-modified & upgraded.
i believe it is a plug for the V heads. And the rights to bring them to market are not for sale?

Old 12-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
i believe it is a plug for the V heads. And the rights to bring them to market are not for sale?
I was wondering as the Fastest Pontiac door cars on the planet and one's making the most N/A power are All Pontiac upgraded Tiger heads. Same deal with the Intake to match. Going from 400cfm to over 460 cfm with a great head to begin with is great.

Frank G. of All Pontiac
Scott Rex
John Langer
and excuse me if I left anyone out.

But not taking away anything from the other castings being produced or in the 'werks' for Pontiacs.

Old 12-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
X2

More to a GOOD head than just a flow number. Tony Bischoff has touched the IMPROVED Tigers, as had Bill C's shop. Nice to think that we might have 2 V heads out there for purchase.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
X2

More to a GOOD head than just a flow number. Tony Bischoff has touched the IMPROVED Tigers, as had Bill C's shop. Nice to think that we might have 2 V heads out there for purchase.

Tom Vaught
Agree, choices are good, so is competition as it keeps prices in check. No knock to Lynn or All Pontiac.

Seeing another V head come out is interesting. Hope both do well.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Read the first pargraph - I think thats it

Old 12-17-2010, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Curt, I'm not sure if you were asking me or Ken, but I have had a few of the TIGERS here at my shop that AP are producing now.

Calvin, I actually started pen to paper in 96-97 and had the tooling finished in 2001-02. I have seen the cnc ported TIGERS AP is making now, and I too have a ported version of the TIGERS that flow about 470. I just have not tested it on an engine to see how well it works. Like TomV said, flow numbers are only part of the equation.

johnta1, In all due respect that's irrelevant to this thread. Please don't think I'm
being disrespect vale towards you. I'm just not going there.

JC, Your right, but I also needed to do a recap on the DCI TIGER head to refresh everyone's memory about how it came about.

Ken, AP has done a good job bringing the TIGER heads to market and that is why I decided to go with them.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-628-3354 cell
330-850-5050 shop
Designer of the TIGER heads and the new DCI Ram Air V heads coming soon!!!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:00 PM

Tell us more about Fact#8 head cooling. That would help the burnt head gasket problems some have..

Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rompn63 View Post
Tell us more about Fact#8 head cooling. That would help the burnt head gasket problems some have..
Ditto...I haven't had any issues yet but don't want to...only running 14.6 now

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 12-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Langer and others have had drastically improved head gasket life plumbing a separate cooling line and pump through the center of the head. Iirc John made it through the rest of season without gasket failure since doing this earlier in the season.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default DCI TIGER Head Facts

When Allpontiac decided to add a cylinder head to their parts lineup they contacted us to do R&D on the possibility of a all new product or an association with an existing cylinder head .The decision was made to allign Allpontiac with DCI and bring the Tiger to market.We had Don send a sample and were pleased with Don's initial design.Production problems arouse when Allpontiacs foundry had trouble making the original tooling produce a consistent product.The original tooling has been repaired, replaced and modified with the exception of the water jacket tooling,it is still as originally designed.The archetechiture of the traditional Pontiac engine with 10 head bolts and 2 center paired exhaust valves presents a challenge to engine builders trying to get every last bit of power .The Tiger head with its cylinder filling capabilities has proven to be the naturally asspirated leader in power and on track performance.Our current cnc full port program was developed to run on current ,highly modifyed from original casting Tigers.We have several modified ports with bragging rights flow numbers that are flow bench queens .Anyone can call Allpontiac and order heads in partial cnc flowing 420+ Capable of making 900-950HP,or full cnc flowing 450 capable of making 1000-1100 HP.

http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/
Old 12-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One more fact .The head gaskets on Allpontiac Grand am are from the May 2009 dyno session ,Cometics with copper spray and constant retorque.engine is still in car with over 60 passes at Pontiac events ,test and tune and Super pro racing .We have -8 water lines from meziere pump to outside of head and intake flange plumbing to relieve steam pockets.Bill C.

http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/
Old 12-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always thought the stripes on the exhaust was cool.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupergasDil View Post
Add me to that, X2

Old 12-20-2010, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupergasDil View Post
I never liked the "ribbed for her pleasure" look.