Old 01-11-2011, 11:21 AM

Post adding posi to non posi car

I want to add posi to a stock single leg 69 GTO 8.2 rear. I was planning to go the aftermarket Eaton route, as a fellow PY'er pointed me a great deal (thanks pont406!). But I thought, before I spend the money, is that the best way to go or is a factory 4 pinion a better choice? This is for what will be a primarily street driven car with 3.55s most likely (although I haven't ruled out using a set of 3.90s too at this point). The engine/trans will be a mild 428 (+/-400hp) with a T-400. My thoughts are that I don't want to worry about leaving pieces of it all over the inside of the housing if I indulge in some spirited driving...which was the result of my old 2 pinion one.
Input pros and cons is appreciated.
Dave

Old 01-11-2011, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave,

Can't speak for the longevity of either unit but if you are planning on street driving and/or any highway runs I'd stick to the 3.55s. Your 428 has more than enough torque to get the car moving quickly.

Joe

Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We've used several of the Eaton posi units in 450+hp cars without any failures. I would recommend it.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:14 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. As there's a factory unit on ebay now and I just wasn't sure if this was the best way to go...sounds like it probably is.