Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-06-2011, 07:43 PM

Default Time for a CV-1 Overhaul!!!

Please don't turn my thread into BS! Though in part this is in response to comments that there have been no CV-1 results. I take that personal, here is why:

I just took my engine apart for some freshening and upgrades as after 80 hard nitrous passes I heard it pop in the finals last week and got out of it. 7 perfect spark plugs... 1 burnt valve and piston... chicken and the egg anyone? For historical reference we put this CV-1 combo together April 2008. 3 years of constant abuse, numerous street cruises and countless little blasts for good humor. Needless to say, I am quite satisfied. This engine combo won half the heads up races we entered and made it to the finals in the other half in classes with wide open rules, tough competition (120mm turbos, twin 88s, 565 F-3, 4 system 632, etc.) and we were and are the only car with no wheelie bars, all glass, all steel except the hood, in completely streetable trim. Our final tuneup led us to consistent 8 teens @ 169 + mph, 5.18 in the 1/8th @ 140 dragging 3300 lbs with plate systems through heads and an intake everyone says is junk and has poor distribution??? I don't believe anyone else is running like this? Well... Certainly not with a Pontiac.

I am a little sad as I wanted to crack a 7 with the "Junk" no one thinks possible. Now we get to find out what professional heads, intake and some downstream mods can do. Hold onto your lugnuts, it's time for an Overhaul!!!

Old 03-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you planning any updates or just freshening the current combination?

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 03-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

5.18 in the 1/8th @ 140 dragging 3300 lbs is very impressive for a car that can still run pump gas if desired and drive on the street anytime you feel like it. Great job with the car Robin, really looking forward to 2011 for you..

Old 03-06-2011, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, time flies, didn't realize you've been using those CV-1's that long. With that much experience, I'm scared & excited to see what comes out of your garage when done!!

1980 Formula 350 Pontiac back burner project
1972 LeMans 350 Pontiac
Old 03-06-2011, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Truly impressive by any ones standards Robin. Kind of hard to think that such success can be improved upon, Look forward to that.

Doc

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have a beautiful car that runs awesome. You will get into the 7s with no problem. Keep up the good work!

Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome Robin! You going from the Race Shop heads to Calvin heads?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your car's flyin' Robin, keep up the good work.

Bryan

Old 03-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont remember him mentioning RaceShop heads Gach. Last I knew Robin did his own touch-up. I do seem to remember him saying he doesnt need to spray as much N2O as he used to as well.

I'm sure he will clarify all this.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM

Great job Robin , looking forward to seeing the next phrase , bruce

Old 03-06-2011, 09:48 PM
Boost Engineer

Maybe we can get Robin to return to Norwalk again real soon.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
I dont remember him mentioning RaceShop heads Gach. Last I knew Robin did his own touch-up. I do seem to remember him saying he doesnt need to spray as much N2O as he used to as well.

Well unless Bill or Jim was lying to me, I was told the heads on the car are Race Shop heads and was told by Jim he was going to Calvin heads. Who cares the guy made awesome power.

Last edited by Gach; 03-06-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
I dont remember him mentioning RaceShop heads. Last I knew Robin did his own touch-up. I do seem to remember him saying he doesnt need to spray as much N2O as he used to as well.

Yes, I ported the first set myself... then made a bonehead rocker installation error when I changed from the Yella Terras (should've left them on, they were great!) to T&D that chingered the head up. We were in a hurry and Roland had a set of Race Shops so we put them on. I think that was like late 2008?? It was the only change and put us back in business. Yea, the same Race Shops and my home ported intake everyone poopoo'ed cranked out some good numbers. Took "way" less nitrous than my super overdone wideports to go much faster.

I won't comment on the Tiger comparison (that is what I changed from but not for performance reasons) past this: I don't think there is enough performance difference to squabble over unless you step up to big money. Choose what you want to do, choose a head you think fits what you are doing and feel "Hot Diggety Dog Happy" you have options that when I built this car I thought would NEVER exist. I expected to have to build a different car with a BBC and retire this one to street use only by now because the only thing I could ever hate worse than a belly button motor is losing every night with no options available to win. Not one of us who run heads up feel any different! With what I see coming down the pike, I expect to abuse Pontiac products for a long time to come

Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Robin to me it dosen't make any difference whos head you have, you have alway been my hero. Pushing it to the limit out their putting brand x on the trailer. Doing it in real heads up events. Not that other Pontiac guys aren't or haven't. When you did it in the Hot Rod shoot out it blow allot of us away. It was the turning point for allot of us. Good luck this year.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Senior Chief

Good job Robin! I wonder what a new set of heads will do for us? We run 5.20's 1/8 on one kit e heads.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Joe: I would say either Gaby Tiger head nitrous port or Calvin CV-1 port. I doubt very much they'd be much difference price wise. Your paying for the port work either way. It all boils down to what you can afford and who's going to hook you up with the best tune up advice. I think either one would have the capabilty of runing low 8's or high 7's. One thing you might look into is giving Gaby a call and have him check out your wide ports. You might be surprise at what he can do with them. Might just be more affordable. You might even send Ribin a PM.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What I appreciate the most is you being able to drive it anywhere. Main reason I'm building a turbo motor. Cruise whenever,race whenever, thats my idea of fun and quite frankly a great test of your building skills!
Mine would have been done by now if I hadnt built that 528 Ford.(and sold some good parts I need now) At least the guy who bought that is happy. Picked his old 521 combo(3000lb Mustang) up from 9.40's to 8.96 1st pass off the trailer with new found traction issues.

The CV1 is attractive to me because I'm only going to be 4.125 bore and the block wont be in the way of the flow path much with canted valves. Boost(charge density) makes up for the smallish displacement so the head really isnt too big for my intended rpm range or cid(428).

I agree there are lots of choices and each has its merits. Cant knock the ol E heads they have been quite versatile but new offerings give us greater versatility. None deserve bashing. Our competitors have lots more choices and some of them are crap. Hope that doesnt happen to us.

Old 03-07-2011, 01:05 AM
Senior Chief

Default CV-1's

Robin,

Congrats again on another terrific season! 7's are within reach, however as you know, tenths come a lot harder at this performance level. We're all pullin' for you in 2011.

We have just one season split between two motors with wideport E's, so we're not ready to jump ship just yet. There is more to squeeze out of this combo first. But after talking with you at Norwalk, I will definitely consider the CV-1's as a viable upgrade. Hope to see you again this season.

Dick Fulton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_95xBp_Efg

Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE DEYTON View Post
Good job Robin! I wonder what a new set of heads will do for us? We run 5.20's 1/8 on one kit e heads.
At 5.20 in the 1/8th you are right there with Robin!!!

Old 03-07-2011, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Robin,
Hoping you have it back together within time for Pontiac Heaven. Less than 4 weeks.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11